PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail Router Bit

Mike OMelia
06-23-2009, 11:12 PM
I am building some simple jigs that are used to hold guitar bodies. Part of the construction involves attaching two pieces of 2.25"x6" pieces to form a right angle (screws) at the narrow width of both boards. But I want to do it a with single, sliding dovetail joint. So I purchased a small dovetail bit, bosch, 17 degree. Looks like 1/2 inch at most. Maybe a little less. Routing the female cut through one of the boards (across the 2.25" width) seems a no brainer. But creating the male counterpart, I am not so sure. How do I do this with the same bit?

Is it just a matter of setting the fence, running a test piece through on both sides, check the fit, and readjust till I get it right?

Mike

Joe Scharle
06-24-2009, 7:45 AM
General rules are:

Rout the slot. Leave the bit height where it is.
Bring the fence over the bit, leaving a little projection. Don't trap your stock!
Make a test cut (both sides). Sneak up on the final size that will just slide in. Use small increments.

There are more elegant approaches (math/measurements), but this method is quick.

Mike OMelia
06-24-2009, 9:03 AM
Thank you Joe, that was what I was thinking, but I wanted to ask before I did it.

Mike

Lee Schierer
06-24-2009, 4:21 PM
You may want to remove teh bulk of the material on the slot with either a straight router bit or a TS cut. Hogging out the entire dovetail in one pass can put quite a strain on the bit and may result in shortened life or burning in the cut.

pat warner
06-24-2009, 6:17 PM
A useful joint (http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/article.asp?Site=woodworking&ID=511) in many configurations.