PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom remodel

David Klug
08-25-2004, 4:03 PM
I am making a new vanity for our bathroom and I want it to set in the corner. CHALLENGE!!!!!! The corner isn't square. It has a runout of about 3/16" in a 16" run. LOML wants the top and the splash area on the walls to be ceramic tile. On each end I plan on putting in drawers, so the problem is how do I square it on the right side where the run out is, so the drawers will work properly?

Also how do you post the smiley icons?

DK

Rob Russell
08-25-2004, 4:11 PM
If you're planning on a laminate top, I'd make an actual size template for the counter top order.

In terms of the cabinet, build a square, plumb and true cabinet. The right side stile should be extra wide so you can cope it to fit snugly.

To post with a smiley - click on the little smiley face over on the right. ;)

Rob

Chris Padilla
08-25-2004, 4:42 PM
David,

As Rob suggested, build your cabinet plumb and square.

However, you'll want to build into the cabinet provisions that will allow you to scribe the imperfections of the wall so you get a snug fit.

It is kind of hard to describe in words as I don't know exactly how you'll build your cabinet (faceframes?) but wherever the cabinet will touch the wall, be sure to give yourself extra width/lenght/whatever so that it can be trimmed to fit the wall. And wherever you plan to trim to fit, be sure the wood is minimally thin to make it easier to trim...you don't want to hog off a lot of material to scribe.

So if you are planning faceframes, you can make one or both ends/sides of a faceframe stick out a bit from the cabinet carcass so you can trim it to fit nice and flush with the crooked wall. A lot of people wil even back-bevel this piece to make it really easy to scribe and cut.

If no faceframes, then build the cabinet carcass such that one edge or however many protrudes a bit so it can be trimmed later on to fit flush.

The tile shouldn't be a problmes with squareness as it can be made up in the laying of the tiles.

Remember, build the cabinet true and square but leave extra material to trim to fit.

I hope this helps and makes sense.

David Klug
08-25-2004, 8:24 PM
Thanks a bunch Chris and Rob. That's what I figured that I would have to do.

DK