PDA

View Full Version : Bois d'Arc HF

Cody Colston
06-23-2009, 7:43 PM
This one took me most of the day. The Bois d'Arc was cut a year ago next month and it was a bear to hollow. I need to get it all turned before it becomes like concrete.

The collar is ebonized with shoe polish and the vessel is 7 1/2" wide x 3 1/2" tall, finished with Deft gloss lacquer.

Steve Schlumpf
06-23-2009, 7:58 PM
Nice work Cody! Love the way the grain just pops out at you! Great form - wonderful finish! Looks like the shoe polish works really well for ebonizing! Thanks for sharing!

Wayne Leach
06-23-2009, 9:44 PM
Nice work Cody. I have not progressed to hollow forms yet and would like to see it done up close and personal?
How do you ensure getting uniform wall thickness.
Lovely wood that-never seen it in real life!
Regards,
Wayne

Bernie Weishapl
06-23-2009, 9:44 PM
Cody that is a beauty. Really nice looking OO and collar looks good.

Cody Colston
06-23-2009, 9:57 PM
Nice work Cody. I have not progressed to hollow forms yet and would like to see it done up close and personal?

First, thanks for the comments.

How do you ensure getting uniform wall thickness.

Hollow a little, blow out the curls, caliper the thickness in two or three places, repeat until just before you pass out and hopefully it will be finished uniformly.
Seriously, that's how I do it. Some of these guys have laser pointers that are calibrated to the tip of their cutting tool so they always know where it is in relation to the outside of the vessel. That's how the pros do it. Us po-boys have to improvise. :D

Lovely wood that-never seen it in real life!

Yes, Bois d'Arc (the name I prefer) also Bodark, Osage Orange, Hedge Apple, Horse Apple...and a few other names is a pretty wood. The bright yellow color will eventually turn a golden brown but it's even prettier then IMHO. It's also very hard, very dense and resistant to rot. Good stuff.

Regards,
Wayne

Again, thanks for the comments.

Ron Lynch
06-24-2009, 5:43 PM
OK, what kind of shoe polish and what's the process you use that allows it to accept a lacquer finish? Oh yeah, nice job on the turning.

Cody Colston
06-24-2009, 10:39 PM
I'll have to look tomorrow for the brand name but it's a liquid shoe polish, put on with a built-in sponge applicator and is waterbased. I kept putting on coats until it was completely black. After it had completely dried, I sprayed it with Deft lacquer...piece of cake. :D

Cindy Navarro
06-25-2009, 2:28 AM
Real pretty bowl. I like the contrast between the lid and the bowl.

Chris Rae
06-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Nice job Cody! It looks great! I really like Bois d'Arc, or as we call it around here, Osage Orange, at least I think they are the same. It's very pretty.

Ron Lynch
06-25-2009, 6:35 PM
Thanks for the inffo

curtis rosche
06-25-2009, 7:27 PM
what tool do you use? right now i use my bowl gouge for hollowing. my homemade hollowing tools are still in the testing stage