PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Safety

Joe Von Kaenel
06-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Hello,

Is it just me or does a tablesaw scare you. I have had boards kick back and hear all the stories of people losing fingers. I have a Ridgid 3650 and a Ridge Carbide tipped blade. It is worse with long stock, I use a GRR-Ripper push block.

Am I the only one who is uncomfortable using a table saw? Any pointers (I've been using the saw for 2 years.) Thanks

Joe

Brian Tax
06-23-2009, 12:55 PM
In my opinion, it is good to be scared or at least aware that it is very dangerous. Most accidents happen when you get too complacent and think that you are too good to get hurt or are going to fast or doing something you know you should not be doing, then bang the unthinkable happens. Stay scared.

Jim Rimmer
06-23-2009, 1:16 PM
+1 for Brian's comment. It is good to be scared - just not too scared to use it properly. I am cautious around all my power tools but have the same type of fear around routers - mainly because of the high RPMs, I guess.

Prashun Patel
06-23-2009, 1:22 PM
After about 7 years, I've found the best thing you can invest in is a good aftermarket blade guard and a splitter. It'll protect your fingers a little better from slippage, helps prevent kickback. A nice benefit is also improved dust collection.

Prashun Patel
06-23-2009, 1:26 PM
Also, I find the GRIPPER good for some cuts, but am not comfortable with it for all cuts. I prefer this one...

Bob Genovesi
06-23-2009, 1:32 PM
Joe,

If you're new to woodworking and using power tools it's not a bad thing to be a bit scared. This feeling encourages respect for something that can cut your hand off without even flinching. With that said, you should not be terrified as this is an accident waiting to happen.

A properly tuned saw, a good sharp blade, and full concentration should provide you with a tremendous amount of personal satisfaction when woodworking. For starters, a rule of thumb i adopted neatly 40 years ago was to never allow the blade to protrude more than 1/4 to 3/8 inch above the stock I'm cutting. This will keep a majority of the spinning blade below the work and away from your fingers.

Rod Sheridan
06-23-2009, 1:40 PM
Hello,

Is it just me or does a tablesaw scare you. I have had boards kick back and hear all the stories of people losing fingers. I have a Ridgid 3650 and a Ridge Carbide tipped blade. It is worse with long stock, I use a GRR-Ripper push block.

Am I the only one who is uncomfortable using a table saw? Any pointers (I've been using the saw for 2 years.) Thanks

Joe

Hi Joe, there are many good books covering the safe operation of a table saw.

Some of the items to consider are;

- always use a splitter or riving knife

- always use a guard

- use push blocks and sticks as required

- never use the rip fence and mitre gauge at the same time

- do not attempt to rip wood that doesn't have two flat, straight reference surfaces (such as produced by a jointer.

- only expose the proper amount of blade above the cut, and always use the correct blade for the job, and make sure that it's clean and sharp.

- "board buddies", featherboards etc are helpful for holding stock on the table, and against the fence.

- keep out of the kickback zone

- wear ear and eye protection

- keep your saw in good working order, properly adjusted and calibrated.

- when in doubt, don't do it.

Regards, Rod.

Dan Friedrichs
06-23-2009, 1:45 PM
Make sure your saw is very well tuned-up. Get the $15 HF dial indicator, and make sure you blade and fence are truely parallel.

Chuck Saunders
06-23-2009, 2:09 PM
Scared? - no. Respect? - yes. The tablesaw will not jump out and bite you, it will sit there and run all day. If you make a mistake it will do the same thing every time. In our shop we had the gallery of errors. Interestingly enough the kick back boards where all pretty close to 8" wide and 30" long and they each had a quarter circle groove coming across them. None since I installed the board buddies.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-23-2009, 3:11 PM
Hello,

Joe

Respect, not fear. You need to always be respectful. Think before you cut. Use the seafty gear already mentioned. Don't think anyone mentioned it, but I really like the magnetic feather board when ripping. May not work if your top is aluminum. Then your choice would be a miter slot feather board. The mag is great, easy on easy off.....

My .02.

Joaquin Franco
06-23-2009, 3:28 PM
Adding to the list to also not cut twisted stock. Use jointer to get flat edge to place against fence and flat face against saw table.

Scott Schwake
06-23-2009, 3:36 PM
It is worse with long stock, I use a GRR-Ripper push block.

Any pointers (I've been using the saw for 2 years.) Thanks

Joe

I feel like an outfeed table made my saw safer for ripping long stock. Before that, I was trying to line up roller stands to the right height, orientation, distance from the saw, etc., or skipping it all together and trying to keep the board level by putting a lot of downward pressure on the board as it neared the end of the cut.

Chris Tsutsui
06-23-2009, 3:56 PM
I respect the Table Saw and Jointer the most. :)

Ryan Sparreboom
06-23-2009, 4:13 PM
Fear of something usually comes from lack of knowledge. When I first got my issued gun, I was scared of it. Why? Because I didn't yet know how to handle it, had no experience with it, and well, it could kill me in an instant if I misused it. Once I was properly trained on how to handle it, had shot several thousand rounds, and was proficient in its use, I no longer feared it. If I mis-use it, or don't maintain it, then I can expect things can go wrong and I should be scared of it. If it's well maintained and used properly, there is nothing to fear.

Same kinda thing with a table saw. Yes it can hurt you. But keep it maintained (set up well as has been mentioned), learn how to use it properly, and become proficient in it's use, and there is nothing to fear. Get a book or two, or better yet, have someone with the experience to show you how to set it up and use it for all the different types of cuts you can / will use it for. Then just practice with scraps, big and small. Always be careful, always use the safety gear, and always respect that it can hurt you. But as has been stated, it won't jump out and bite you. I very strongly disagree with the people that say you SHOULD be scared of it. Thats just plain wrong. Respect it yes, fear it no. If your mind is full of fear when your using it, you can't properly concentrate on what your doing, and THATS when accidents happen.

Get yourself some more experience. If your having problems with kickback, burning wood, etc, you have a set-up problem, or poor technique, or both. Get someone to show you what your doing wrong. Learn as much as you can, and you'll be fine. DON"T be scared of it.

Ryan

Eric Larsen
06-23-2009, 4:48 PM
Hello,

Joe

My table saw does not scare me in the least. I use all manner of feather boards, hold downs, push sticks, outfeed tables, side tables and jigs to make me secure. I won't cut unless I feel 100% safe. 99% is not good enough.

Bottom line: If you don't feel 100% safe, don't cut. Find another way, or build a jig, outfeed table, push stick, etc. I'd rather spend half a day building a crosscut sled (or some other safety device) than lose a finger. (The fact that I LIKE building jigs really helps.)

EDIT -- And my saw is always tuned up. I check it every couple weeks or after a lot of cuts -- because 99% is not good enough.

DOUBLE EDIT -- By nature, I'm a fairly positive, energetic person. However, some days I don't feel quite so positive and energetic. On those days, I clean the shop or do something else around the house.

Ryan Sparreboom
06-23-2009, 4:51 PM
My table saw does not scare me in the least. I use all manner of feather boards, hold downs, push sticks, outfeed tables, side tables and jigs to make me secure. I won't cut unless I feel 100% safe. 99% is not good enough.

Bottom line: If you don't feel 100% safe, don't cut. Find another way, or build a jig, outfeed table, push stick, etc. I'd rather spend half a day building a crosscut sled (or some other safety device) than lose a finger. (The fact that I LIKE building jigs really helps.)

Excellent advice. I don't fear any of my equipment. The day I do is the day I better sell everything and quit woodworking.

Thats not to say I'm not careful.

Ryan

Guy Belleman
06-23-2009, 9:50 PM
My father did everything on a radial arm saw. He ripped boards and plywood. When I tried it, it was scary. 25 years later I get my own table saw, do some reading, and finally figure out that many of the sawing operations he was doing are done easily on a table saw. I love table saws. I have used used radial arm saws for simple cutoffs. I know they have more capability, but I do avoid them to this day.

Karl Brogger
06-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Is it just me or does a tablesaw scare you.

Nope. Respect what it can do and it won't be scary. Just like a car, loaded firearm, icy sidewalk, 12 pack + a 20 pack of White Castle sliders, etc. All things that can do some harm if not used correctly!

Cody Colston
06-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Somebody needs to say it so I will...

If you are still scared of your tablesaw after two years of use, maybe you should find another hobby or another method...hand tools only, maybe...a bandsaw-centric shop...guided circular saw?

A tablesaw or really any powered tool that spins a sharp blade/cutter is dangerous if not used properly. Obviously you recognize that fact, thus your fear of the machine.

You should get some instruction from a proficient TS user so that you can gain confidence using one. Those that said you should respect the saw but not fear it are correct. If you approach every task utilizing the TS with fear and trepidation, it will lead to hesitancy and poor technique until you eventually get hurt.

I'm not trying to discourage you from woodworking, either. It's a wonderful craft and extremely satisfying but unless you are a total knuckledragger, you will need to get over your fear of the equipment...all of it...to work confidently and safely.

Bill Huber
06-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Somebody needs to say it so I will...

If you are still scared of your tablesaw after two years of use, maybe you should find another hobby or another method...hand tools only, maybe...a bandsaw-centric shop...guided circular saw?

A tablesaw or really any powered tool that spins a sharp blade/cutter is dangerous if not used properly. Obviously you recognize that fact, thus your fear of the machine.

You should get some instruction from a proficient TS user so that you can gain confidence using one. Those that said you should respect the saw but not fear it are correct. If you approach every task utilizing the TS with fear and trepidation, it will lead to hesitancy and poor technique until you eventually get hurt.

I'm not trying to discourage you from woodworking, either. It's a wonderful craft and extremely satisfying but unless you are a total knuckledragger, you will need to get over your fear of the equipment...all of it...to work confidently and safely.

Couldn't said it better......

I agree 100%, respect is the key to using any power tool. Fear has no place in any shop of any type.

Guy Belleman
06-24-2009, 8:41 AM
there may be others, but here is one that might be helpful.
Unfortunately, the first one available is in September. There is another
store in Toledo, but it appears they focus on turning classes.

Machine Operation with Jesse Bach Where at: Woodcraft of Cleveland (East)
22745 Rockside Rd.
Bedford, OH 44146 Class Days: Sunday, September 27, 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Skill Level: Beginner Class Size: 6 Tools Required: Safety Glasses Description: So you have the machines, now how do you use them properly. Woodworking instructor Jesse Bach will take you through the proper set-up, usage and maintance on your four basic pieces of equipment; the planer, jointer, tablesaw and chop saw. Topics addressed will be order of machine operations, knife and blade replacement, repair and replacement issues, and basic jigs and fixtures. After this class you will have the skills necessary to make a square board properly.
Tuition: $55.00 How to sign up: You can e-mail us at bedford-retail@woodcraft.com or call us at (440) 232-7979 to learn how to register.

Mike Robbins
06-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Not sure exactly if what the OP means as fear is the same as what I think of as fear.

To me, fear is unacceptable during equipment operation- but I define fear as having an emotional reaction that makes what you are doing less effective. Having a fear of using the saw such that you do not feel able to keep firm control of the stock is a recipe for disaster, as well as unpleasant. I mean this is a hobby for most of us so it should be fun.

OTOH, having some apprehension before using a tool that makes you mentally think through what you are about to do, and ensure what you are doing is as safe as possible, is healthy. I had some apprehension about doing tapered cuts in thick stock at first. I reduced this by using a 24T ripping blade, and setting up a jig that kept me out of the line of fire, as well as making sure the stock was very secure to the sled. Then I could make the cuts with wary confidence. Same thing with when I first tried a few bevel cuts.

If the fear is non-specific, that is the OP is mostly reading about injuries to other woodworkers, consider that a common thread I've seen in what has been posted is the lack of either a bladeguard, a splitter, or both. This is usually combined with doing something that is generally accepted as not best practice-ripping a 12"x8" panel for instance. I'm not saying it's impossible to get seriously injured with a bladeguard, splitter, and antikickback pawls in place, but I can't recall a serious accident post in the last year that had all 3 of these on the saw. The one I saw was someone taking the skin off the tip of their thumb while using the miter gauge due to unfortunate inattentiveness.

I look at my chance of injury from a saw or other woodworking equipment about the same as my chance of injury from driving. Definately a possibility, but one I try to make as unlikely as possible.

Jeff Considine
06-24-2009, 4:01 PM
After I became an injury statistic (3 finger tips on my guitar playin hand), I sold it. I used a table saw and all manner of other power tools for over 20 years.

I have to agree though that a healthy respect for any tool is more likely to keep you out of trouble, and being aware of how to use a tool correctly is critical.

I would have to emphasize, as others have done or will do, that being aware of your state of mind is equally important. Tired, distracted, hurried, or just generally not focused can get you injured just as quickly as a bad setup or a risky maneuver.

My injury was caused 100% by me, not by my tablesaw.

Someone already said that if you can't get over your apprehension of a piece of equipment, you should consider something else, which is exactly what I did, and am now 100% a hand tool woodworker. There is as much enjoyment in it now, as there always has been.

I'm not posting to tell you that you should not use your tools, I guess I just hope to underscore the advice everyone has given.

Enjoy your time in the shop.

glenn bradley
06-24-2009, 4:34 PM
Rod hits my main item with "- do not attempt to rip wood that doesn't have two flat, straight reference surfaces (such as produced by a jointer)." Cody gives good advice as well. I had a buddy who was very nervous with scuba. He was so uptight he would make mistakes because he was so worried about making one he would miss steps in the standard safety methods one should use. I was relieved when he found a new interest.

Jim Heffner
06-24-2009, 9:49 PM
Joe, from what I read in your post and the way you said it, I think you are getting a little paranoid about the saw. I have found the best way to handle cutting with a tablesaw is do a "dry run" with the workpiece and saw first before making the actual cut. If you run thru all your procedures like setup of the saw, double checking items like safety guards are in place, proper blade height for cutting,not using rip fence and miter guage at the same time,using a splitter, these type things are going to eliminate most of the problems like kickback and binding of the saw blade. You still have to remember to wear safety glasses and no long sleeves around moving blades and no jewelry! If you follow these things and do them everytime you get ready to cut with saw, they will soon become almost automatic
and the "fear" of the saw will diminish but always remember to have a healthy respect for the saw and what it can do. Hope this helps.

Nissim Avrahami
06-25-2009, 10:34 AM
OK, I'll admit....I'm afraid of the table saw but only when its "naked"....

After I "dress" it, there is nothing to be afraid of....

1) Infeed and Outfeed tables for stability
2) Feather board (actually, rollers) to replace my left hand that remains free...
3) long push stick to replace my right hand (so long it is that, when I finish the cut, my hand is still at the table edge).
4) Blade guard!!!
5) Riving knife to reduce the Kickback possibility.
6) Short Fence to reduce the Kickback possibility.

As you can see, no hands around the guarded blade and, if no hands.....no hands to cut...

For ripping and cross-cutting small pieces, I made a dedicated sled (that can be used as normal sled as well).

You can see them all on the pics below...

niki

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb151/matsukawa/TS%20Short%20fence%20rip/0004.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb151/matsukawa/TS%20Short%20fence%20rip/0009.jpg

Joe Von Kaenel
06-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks for all the good advice. I have a good friend that is a cabinet maker, which is how he earns a living. I will have him come work with me on the table saw. I guess fear was a strong word, apprehension would be a better choice.

Does anyone use the Shark Guard? I was looking at one of them for the guard and splitter. I always use a push block or the GRR-gripper. Thanks again

Joe

Rod Sheridan
06-25-2009, 6:47 PM
Hi Joe, there are many happy users of the Shark Guard, however in my opinion they have one major failing, they can't be used for non through cuts.

I have an Excalibur overarm guard and like it, it has dust collection like the Shark Guard, however it cam be used for non through cuts.

Regards, Rod.