PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE! Problems with Radius

Edward Brown
06-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Hello there, I have posted a couple threads here before and received great information. I am an engraver, we have several CO2 laser engravers, all epilog.

The one particular machine in question is our Epilog Radius - I was engraving a piece of glass and suddenly the laser just stopped firing. The machine continued to raster back and forth but nothing was engraving. I canceled the job and tried a completely different medium with different settings and the same thing, no firing. I lchecked the breakers in the back, reset the machine via front power switch and main breaker in rear, same thing. The machine will attempt to do a job, start moving but with no laser. This is a exteranlly cooled unit unlike our other air cooled lasers. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary on the cooler, same temp on the front monitor, no leaks, blower works fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I know laser tubes will go out but all the sudden like this? it was a hot job but we have done things hotter than this -

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike Null
06-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Ed

Welcome top SMC. In this case I think your best bet is to call Epilog tech support.

Edward Brown
06-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Ed

Welcome top SMC. In this case I think your best bet is to call Epilog tech support.

OK - yeah I've called before for out 24ex, I'm not the owner of our operation but the primary engraver. My question now is does Epilog charge for over the phone tech support?

Thanks for the input btw!

Mike Null
06-23-2009, 12:54 PM
I never paid anything when I used them and our machines were well out of warranty.

Edward Brown
06-23-2009, 1:08 PM
Alright thanks! I'll give em a call ASAP!

Edward Brown
06-25-2009, 1:01 PM
**UPDATE**

Hopefully this will help some others before they go and buy a new laser tube. I called Epilog and they told me to check the switches for the door, which were fine, and then check the voltage of the power supply for the laser tube its self, which was the correct 48 volts. They then said well, the only thing left would be the laser tube itself, which by the way cost 3700 with a 1800 deposit AND a core. So we thought about it overnight.

I then called again and spoke with someone else and they directed me in another direction, "check your optics" - and low and behold the first optic the laser beam hits was completely trashed! what luck! I've included a pic below of the old optic - this goes to show clean your machines!!!

Again thanks for everyones help!

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/105/l_65c98a8e372e461d8d2932832d2b3cad.jpg

Dan Hintz
06-25-2009, 1:20 PM
Holy crap, what are you doing with/to that poor machine?! :confused:

Darryl Hazen
06-25-2009, 1:22 PM
Edward,

Since your last posting would be of interest to everyone with a laser you might want to repost the info with a different title. It could be overlooked because the current title refers to a radius problem.

Just a thought.:)

Mike Null
06-25-2009, 1:32 PM
Edward

I would hope that it also says you should call your manufacturer's tech support. Sometimes, like with doctors, you need more than one opinion, but it looks to me like they saved your bacon.

How much did they charge?

Edward Brown
06-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Holy crap, what are you doing with/to that poor machine?! :confused:

Nothing out of the ordinary - we have 5 laser machines 2 50watt/2 75watt and this one 100watt. We do VERY large orders, many plaques and glass awards at a time with this machine. Most acrylics stay in our 24ex. Over time this does happen, I've narrowed it down that vectoring a lot will do this, of course if something gets on the lens it could also be the culprit. We take care of our machines, I guaranty you that! This part was just behind 2 panels and isn't part of our weekly list of things to clean - it is now! It just goes to show you what a powerful laser will do.... :cool:

...and keep in mind this machine was built and bought in 1998 ~

Edward Brown
06-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Edward,

Since your last posting would be of interest to everyone with a laser you might want to repost the info with a different title. It could be overlooked because the current title refers to a radius problem.

Just a thought.:)

Oh yes I intend to, just real busy lately - is it possible to edit the Title of the thread or do I need to start a entirely new one?

Thanks for the replies!