PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling fan in Bathroom

Peter Stahl
06-23-2009, 9:33 AM
Anyone put a ceiling fan in their bathroom? I know they make indoor/outdoor fan for covered patios. Would this be suitable for a bathroom? My wife just can't stay cool enough while she does her hair. I can't wait till she get hot flashes, lol!

Prashun Patel
06-23-2009, 9:36 AM
Certainly. Actually, any ceiling fan would be ok in a bathroom - as long as it's not directly over the shower. The same restrictions would pertain to fan placement as would light placement.

Of course, you need a reinforced box to hold the weight.

Personally, I think a ceiling fan is a GREAT idea in a bathroom if you have the space. Moving that humid air away from the ceiling to where the exhaust fan an suck at it is good for the house....

Nate Carey
06-23-2009, 9:40 AM
Peter, this fan is in both bathrooms in our place in South Florida... http://www.casablancafanco.com/productdetail.php?pid=213

Peter Stahl
06-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Certainly. Actually, any ceiling fan would be ok in a bathroom - as long as it's not directly over the shower. The same restrictions would pertain to fan placement as would light placement.

Of course, you need a reinforced box to hold the weight.

Personally, I think a ceiling fan is a GREAT idea in a bathroom if you have the space. Moving that humid air away from the ceiling to where the exhaust fan an suck at it is good for the house....

Thanks for the reply Shawn. That's what I was thinking. Couldn't of a negative unless you bought the wrong type of fan.

Peter Stahl
06-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Peter, this fan is in both bathrooms in our place in South Florida... http://www.casablancafanco.com/productdetail.php?pid=213

Thanks Nate, I like the size but not sure about the blade type. They do make that fan with plain blades. Will put that one on my list of possibles. Installing it is easy, picking the right one and the location is the hardest part.

Matt Meiser
06-23-2009, 10:30 AM
I can think of one minor negative. Its going to require constant cleaning. The moisture on the blades is going to pick up ever speck of dust in the air. Making your wife happy way outweighs the negative. ;)

Frank Townend
06-23-2009, 10:40 AM
I have one in my master bath.

Frank Townend
06-23-2009, 10:41 AM
I can think of one minor negative. Its going to require constant cleaning. The moisture on the blades is going to pick up ever speck of dust in the air. Making your wife happy way outweighs the negative. ;)

But if all the dust collects in one place, it should be easier to keep the bathroom clean. :D

Matt Meiser
06-23-2009, 10:45 AM
If only it were that easy...:D

Eddie Watkins
06-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Anyone put a ceiling fan in their bathroom? I know they make indoor/outdoor fan for covered patios. Would this be suitable for a bathroom? My wife just can't stay cool enough while she does her hair. I can't wait till she get hot flashes, lol!
Believe me, you CAN wait for hot flashes.;) We have a ceiling fan in our bathroom and it is no problem.

David G Baker
06-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Men get hot flashes at around the same time in life that the ladies do, we just don't let it be known.
70% humidity and around 85 degrees out, I have a ceiling fan in every room except the bathroom. My ceiling is a little low for any ceiling fan but a ceiling hugger. Not a bad idea and may put that on my list for the bath remodel.

Jim O'Dell
06-23-2009, 1:29 PM
My wife wants one to replace the exhaust fan in our master bath. Neither of us have ever used the exhaust fan, and the heater part of it would take about 3 hours to heat up the MB, so it never gets used either. But we don't steam up the bathroom much anyway. Good to hear that others have installed the fans without problems. Jim.

Jim Rimmer
06-23-2009, 1:32 PM
Be careful what you wish for - running AC and heat in the same couple of hours is nerve wracking :eek::D

David G Baker
06-23-2009, 2:59 PM
Jim O,
I had a couple infrared lamps in my ceiling vent, it wasn't designed to heat the room, just warm the body while drying off from the shower or bath. I had kids in the house at the time so I put it on a timer like they have in hotel/motel rooms. It worked great.

Peter Stahl
06-23-2009, 3:36 PM
Thanks for all the great replies so far. Sounds like a ceiling fan is a go, just have to find one she likes now.

Peter Stahl
06-24-2009, 10:53 AM

Nate, question about these fans you have. Do the blade look like the ones in the picture? Or are they blades reversible and is what is in the picture the reverse of the smooth side?