PDA

View Full Version : Thin wall socket for DP spindle nut?

Chris Barnett
06-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Needing to remove the spindle on an old desk top drill press but having difficulty removing nut. Nut shown in top of pulley is 35 mm across flats. Wall on the 35 mm socket is too thick to fit between pulley and point on nut. I there a different way to do this?

David G Baker
06-22-2009, 11:41 PM
There is a set of thin walled sockets designed for bathtub fixtures that may do the trick. Check your local Borg's plumbing department. They are not very expensive and come in a set with several sizes.

Philip Johnson
06-23-2009, 2:09 AM
buy a cheap socket and grind it down to fit

Gary Curtis
06-23-2009, 2:29 PM
The wrenches that come supplied with chainsaws are thin-walled. But 35mm is pretty big.

Gary Curtis

Bill Petersen
06-23-2009, 3:56 PM
If you cannot find a thin walled socket you may have to loosen (and tighten) it with a chisel and hammer. Metal working chisel of course:eek:

The nut won't look as good when you're done, but it usually works well.

Mac McQuinn
06-23-2009, 5:24 PM
Perhaps do a Metric to Std size conversion to see if any thing comes close in a Std sized socket. Sometimes if it's close, a 6 point socket will fit loosely but still remove it due to angle of points. I've found Std sized sockets sometimes have different wall thicknesses. If it still is too big in diameter, at least you can grind it down and Std sized sockets are typically available in less expensively to cut your losses.
Good Luck,

Mac

Ryan Baker
06-23-2009, 9:13 PM
buy a cheap socket and grind it down to fit

Bingo! There you go.

Not that any 35mm socket is particularly cheap ... but Sears is your friend.

george wilson
06-23-2009, 9:28 PM
Buy a suitable socket and send it to me. I can turn it down with a carbide cutter for you,just send shipping charges. PM me for help.

Chris Barnett
06-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks George, just might do that and thank you so much for the offer. I was at HF and their little 7x10 will not do that work, at least doesn't look like it to me. Previously I thought perhaps a 1 3/16 would work so I had bought it, no dice. Only socket that will fit is the 35 mm so I will order one and go the thinning route, and have it next time I need to maybe change bearings.

The other means is the chisel which I had overlooked. Since the DP does work but not to my expectations. Since the solution might be new bearings, I am obviously reluctant to do a hatchet job on it to fix what only might be the cause of the problem. The chisel is a solution though, but this time, the last choice. George's very kind offer is the best solution; I have searched the web and have not found a thin wall socket in 35 mm. This old DP was my Dad's, and his only larger power tool other than a 10 inch RAS. I want to do what I can to keep it working well.

Paul Atkins
06-24-2009, 2:24 AM
Before you start wailing with the chisel you might see if it is left handed also.

Frank Townend
06-24-2009, 3:11 AM
Would you be able to drill two holes in the face of the nut (opposite each other) and make/use a spanner-type wrench?

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-24-2009, 10:00 AM
SNAP ON
I'd look to them to see if they have the socket.
Won't be cheap but it'll be a flawless tool if they have it.

george wilson
06-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Might be better to buy a cheap socket as it will be easier to machine it smaller. It will be fine for a nut that large even if not as good as a Snap On.

Chris Barnett
06-27-2009, 8:38 AM
Of all places....Pep Boys...found the 35 mm in thin wall and it FITS! Inexpensive too at $7.99. Many thanks for the ideas and kind offer. Was dropping off some motor oil and just looked at their socket. Had just come from Sears...and will need to go back to Sears to return what I had found that would need machining.