PDA

View Full Version : Funky Shelving

Keith Starosta
08-25-2004, 9:38 AM
The LOML was flipping through one of her multitude of mail-order magazines the other night when she let out an audible, "cooooool......" Of course, my interest was piqued. She saw this crazy set of shelves, called "Zig Zag Shelves" and instantly wanted them. After looking at the picture, I immidiately let out with, "That would be a snap to make myself..."

After throwing me one of these...... :rolleyes: , she said to go for it. The picture below offers a view of the units, with some dimensions added in. I'm thinking about using 1/2" MDF for a quick and easy assembly. My only real question is in the mounting. How can I mount these things to the wall without having any of the wall fasteners showing? Do you think this is possible? Any suggestions would be appreciated. :D

Keith

Todd Burch
08-25-2004, 10:03 AM
Keith, first, I'm sorry your wife has a taste for items such as these... :-)

I've done this before. What I did was to find the studs behind where the shelves were going. I drilled a hole in the studs and glued in protruding dowels. I drilled corresponding holes in the rear of the uprights and/or horizontals and then glued the assembly to the wall, on the dowels.

I used 1½" thick shelves though. Might be kinda tough doing this with ½" MDF.

You could use small cleats glued underneath the horizonals and screw through those. The cleat can be minimalist, even a triangle shaped cleat, and use trim head screws (the real small headed screws), and then screw up at an angle.

If you didn't use MDF, I guess you could even use pocket screw holes, if you could find some 2½" screws that would work... maybe some #6 or #8 pan head screws.

Todd

Jamie Buxton
08-25-2004, 11:52 AM
If you have to make them from 1/2" material, you might consider putting a full back on the shelves, and glueing the shelves to the back. The back's shape could be as angular as the shelves. The back would give plenty of opportunity for catching studs, and would reinforce the joinery between the shelves.

Tony Falotico
08-25-2004, 7:07 PM
I immediately let out with, "That would be a snap to make myself..."

Keith ! .... Keith ! The proper response is :

"That would be a snap to make myself... If I only had a ________ !"

(fill in the blank with the latest tool you've been drooling over)

Bruce Page
08-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Keith, another option could be using strategically placed keyhole hardware. You would need to be very accurate with your layout, but I think it would work.

Keith Starosta
08-26-2004, 7:42 AM
Keith ! .... Keith ! The proper response is :

"That would be a snap to make myself... If I only had a ________ !"

(fill in the blank with the latest tool you've been drooling over)

DOH!!! :eek: :eek:

Great point, Tony! I can't believe I blew that one... ;)

Keith