PDA

View Full Version : Must see in Chicago?

Bill Mitchel
06-22-2009, 5:31 PM
I'm taking the family to Chicago in the next couple weeks, any suggestions on things to see woodturning related? My wife has the museums, aquariums, etc down so I'm looking for something fun:p

Thanks all
Bill

Benjamin Dahl
06-22-2009, 5:51 PM
wrigley field. sorry, couldn't resist as a Chicago native and life-long cubs fan. anyhow, that place is more for head shaking than Busch but this year will be different (as we say each year).
If there is nothing scheduled for the art institute, you might contact the chicago branch of the AAW: http://www.chicagowoodturners.com/CWT/
not sure if inserting the link is against the TOS, so excuse me if it is.
Have fun.
Ben

Ed Sallee
06-22-2009, 6:30 PM
+1 on inserting a link..... but, here goes...

Gino's East for the best Chicago Style Pizza you can find.... it's Awesome!
PS - Don't wear a tie there....they'll cut it off and nail it to the wall...
www.ginoseast.com (http://featuredfoods.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/a-store/c-GinoAns_East.shtml?E+scstore+ginos)

Narayan Nayar
06-22-2009, 7:36 PM
Wrigley Field is totally woodturning related, Benjamin. They still use bats, right? :)

Bill, Gino's East is for losers. Go to Uno's or Due's on Wabash. It's not the franchised crap sold everywhere else in the country. Uno's was where deep dish started. (Ed, hope you take that the right way--if you're from Chicago like I am, you know that Uno's fans and Gino's fans are like Cubs fans and White Sox fans!)

One of the best things a visitor can do in Chicago by far (and I mean by far) is the architectural river boat cruise run by the Chicago Architecture Foundation. I generally skip all the tourist stuff anywhere I go, but this is one of the best ways to spend an afternoon and one of the best ways to get to know the city. Chicago has some of the most important architecture of the 20th century; it's amazing to hear how it all came together (and why). Even _I_ accompany visitors on this trip or any of the walking tours run by the foundation.

Be sure to get the cruise run by the foundation. There are other "architectural" cruises run by copycats.

Chicago Architecture Foundation (http://www.architecture.org/)

Not woodturning related, but you can go visit Frank Lloyd Wright's studio and some of his residences and other buildings in Oak Park (right next to Chicago) as well.

Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio Foundation (http://www.wrightplus.org/)

Bernie Vail
06-22-2009, 8:01 PM
Another vote for Uno's and Due's from a native Chicagoan. :)

curtis rosche
06-22-2009, 9:23 PM
you have to go to the steak house in chicago. i wish i could remember the name. its in the very high rent section and it sits on an intersection. its like normns steak house or something like that. they have amazing steak, and dessert is huge. they bring you out a huge piece of chocolate turtle cheesecake (or what evre esle you order) that is 12inches high and about a 1/4 of a whole cake, with a huge steak knife stuck in it.

curtis rosche
06-22-2009, 9:24 PM
+1 for frank loyd wrights house.

Bob Bergstrom
06-22-2009, 9:35 PM
Catch the bean in Millennium Park. The Art Institute and the Museums have lots of pottery to sturdy forms. If you want to turn, either a club member of the Chicago Woodturners or the Windy City Turners would host you for the day. Chicago Turners meet on the first Tuesday of the month. Windy City meets on the third Tuesday of the month. I'm in the far south suburbs and the door is usually open

John W Dixon
06-22-2009, 10:18 PM
One of the best things a visitor can do in Chicago by far (and I mean by far) is the architectural river boat cruise run by the Chicago Architecture Foundation. I generally skip all the tourist stuff anywhere I go, but this is one of the best ways to spend an afternoon and one of the best ways to get to know the city. Chicago has some of the most important architecture of the 20th century; it's amazing to hear how it all came together (and why). Even _I_ accompany visitors on this trip or any of the walking tours run by the foundation.

Be sure to get the cruise run by the foundation. There are other "architectural" cruises run by copycats.

Chicago Architecture Foundation (http://www.architecture.org/)

This is absolutely awesome and one of the best things I have ever done in Chicago!

John

Pat O'malley
06-23-2009, 1:59 AM
I think Curtis is thinking of Chicago Chop House (http://www.chicagochophouse.com/home.htm) also Navy pier (http://www.navypier.com/) can be a good time.

Joe Pfeifer
06-23-2009, 8:46 AM
THE steakhouse in Chicago is Gibson's. It's not uncommon to see "stars" there. Johnny Depp was there this week. On the other end of the cost spectrum is Millenium Park, which is free. South of that is Buckingham fountain. Just north is the shopping on Michigan Avenue and Navy Pier. Just south is The Shedd Aquarium (highly recommended), The Field Museum, and Adler Planetarium (boring). Pizza= Giordano's. Get a Chicago Style hot dog made with Vienna beef dogs with everything on it. DO NOT put ketchup on it. Also, there are some great beaches in Chicago so bring trunks. Have fun!

Frank Kobilsek
06-23-2009, 9:08 AM
Ah the Pizza Battle - Two very different favorites for me:

Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders, Clark street, best described as pizza in a bowl. A few doors away from the St. Valentines Day masacre site.

Lou Malnatii's Pizza- they are all over.

Another favorite downtown for me is the Billy Goat Tavern, the one on lower Wacker, the place that inspired Cheeze Burger Chees Burger skit on Saturday Night Live back in the 80's.

And stand in line for Breakfast at Lou Mitchells by Union Station, get the kids waffles, if they don't puke they won't have to eat the rest of the day.

But the Art Institute will give you plenty of inspiration for your turning even if the shapes are not wood.

Frank

Julian Nicks
06-23-2009, 9:34 AM
My favorite chop house is Ruths Chris, favorite pizza is Uno's. I'm a bit surprised that nobody has talked about the observation deck at the Sears tower. They now have a glass floor that you can walk out on and look down over 1000 feet.

Chris Stolicky
06-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Make sure you try a 'Chicago Hotdog', loaded. I actually really liked them when I was there.

Thomas Herview
06-23-2009, 11:10 AM
If it's a family outing you have to visit the Museum of Science and Industry. You won't be sorry. Plan to spend the entire day. Also the Zoo, the Aquarium, the Museum of Natural History, the Sears Tower (once the tallest building in the world)

Narayan Nayar
06-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Uh. Someone got us rolling on talking about food in Chicago.

Yes. Chicago Hot Dogs (go to Hot Doug's or Portillos), Italian Beef (get an italian beef and sausage combo at either Portillo's or Mr. Beef), Pizza (Uno's, as discussed), Steak (pick one--Gibson's is indeed good), or any ethnic variety--like any major city, there are enclaves of immigrants scattered about the city--did you know Chicago is home to more Polish people than any other city but Warsaw? And furthermore, do you know how awesome an all-you-can-eat pierogi restaurant is?!

Just put on your walking shoes and get familiar with the El and have at it. You have to try really hard to not like Chicago; the weather can influence your visit a lot. I'd highly suggest concentrating on establishments which are truly Chicagoan--the big box packaged experiences you can get anywhere and they'll be exactly the same (i.e. eating at Rock Bottom Brewery, etc.).

And on the whole, Chicagoans are some of the friendliest people about. Two of my aunts were visiting from abroad about a decade ago and they still go on and on about how they asked two policemen where something was, and the policemen actually walked them there (it was several blocks), talking with them the whole time. I've got lots of stories like that.

And I hear Senate seats are still for sale. :)

To get back on topic, Chicago hot dogs also take to lathes pretty well. But you have to stabilize them with lots and lots of CA (it's a bad day when you mistakenly reach for the CA instead of the ketchup).

curtis rosche
06-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Gibsons is the steak house i was thinking of. GREAT place to eat. there is also Dicks Last Resort that is a funny place to eat. the waiters have attitudes and have fun with it. go there if you have never been to one. also, if you are there in time, go to the music fest in milwaukee, its called milwaukee fest. i went to chicago last year for vacation with my dad, and we stopped in milwaukee cause thats where he grew up

curtis rosche
06-23-2009, 12:14 PM
oh yeah, i almost forgot. there is a segway tour of chicago. they are a little exspencive, (like $80 a person if i remember right) but you get a lesson on riding a segway, then an hour and a half guided tour of the city on a segway. http://citysegwaytours.com/chicago

Bill Mitchel
06-24-2009, 8:29 PM
Man, you guys are awesome. Been working pretty late and no time for anything, finally got some time to get on-line and lo and behold, a ton of suggestions, thanks!
I'll have to let my event planner check this out. Lots of great things. Curtis, I did the Segway tour in St Louis with my father in law and it outstanding. My son should love Dicks Last Resort and I have actually heard of it, I won't wear a tie:eek:
I wasn't planning on going up the Sears tower but if they have a glass floor it might be cool, I have a 6 year old who would love it!
Narayan, I think we will do one of the river cruises, and thanks for the tip on which one.
I'll probally be in Chicago for about 2 seconds before I get a chicago hot dog, and I know, no ketchup:D
Thanks again!!!
Bill

curtis rosche
06-24-2009, 8:33 PM
when we went to dicks last resort there was a group of 60-80yrold men and women in there throwing food, it was pretty funny.

Chris Hayes
06-26-2009, 5:10 PM
There's another place sorta out of the way that I've been meaning to get to when I pass through Chicago. The place is called "The Silver Palm" and has one of the most awesome looking sandwiches I've ever seen -- EVER!

"Three Little Pigs" has a fried pork tenderloin with Smoked Ham and Bacon and topped with a fried egg. If I remember seeing the Tony Bourdain episode properly, it looked like this sandwich has a base of cole-slaw too. It made my chest seize in excitement...unfortunately the last trip through the city didn't allow me to stop.

I'd recommend the Art Institute -- the place is massive. I remember looking at the carved African masks (I know not a turning subject, but still impressive) and marveling on their construction. There are plenty of wonderful vases throughout the Institute that should give you inspiration for turnings (they did me).

Like others have recommended, make the trip out to Oak Brook for the tours there. If not, walk around a look at the various buildings for ideas. I know know what impressed me more, the Art Institute or the walk to and from my hotel. Another building you may want to go up-- the Hancock Center. If memory serves me right there's a bar at just above the observation deck...so snacks might be in order. But the observation deck has a sky-patio. At close to 1000 ft up, Chicago can be very quiet.

Enjoy your trip

Chris

Narayan Nayar
06-29-2009, 4:07 PM
Just a few points to add to Chris' comment:

It's Oak Park, not Oak Brook. Oak Brook exists and is home to some ridiculous percentage of Fortune 500 company world headquarters (McDonald's among them), but other than estates in gated communities, there's not much other than office buildings and shopping malls in Oak Brook.

Also, the Art Institute of Chicago just opened a new wing, too, so it's even more huger than before :)

Chris Hayes
07-01-2009, 2:16 PM
You can tell where I've spent a lot of time -- I totally didn't even realize I'd written Oak Brook. Oak Brook is just another form of Generica. Oak Park -- very different