PDA

View Full Version : New Circular Saw ideas

Mac McQuinn
06-22-2009, 4:57 PM
Looking for general purpose circular saw and checked out the Stuff at HD today. The Ridgid 6.5" Framing saw was interesting due to light weight(8lbs). Has anyone any experience with this model? I'd really like something light but also excellent at dust collection and hook-up......Doe this exist? My last saw was PC left hand blade which was decent although seemed cumbersom for me. Any suggestions?

thanks,
Mac

Roger Jensen
06-22-2009, 5:04 PM
I have the Hilti 267e, which has been discontinued but you may see it on eBay or Craigslist. It is pretty light, has variable speed control, good dust collection and fits the Festool tracks if you ever go with a Festool system (and don't want to buy the Festool CS).

Mac McQuinn
06-22-2009, 8:26 PM
I have the Hilti 267e, which has been discontinued but you may see it on eBay or Craigslist. It is pretty light, has variable speed control, good dust collection and fits the Festool tracks if you ever go with a Festool system (and don't want to buy the Festool CS).

Thanks for the reply Roger, I''ll check it out. Sounds interesting.

Mac

Brian Penning
06-22-2009, 9:45 PM
I believe you mean the Fuego saw.
I have one and it's a great little saw. Received favourable reviews pretty well everywhere.

http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/2007/04/ridgid_fuego_612_framing_saw.php

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/how-to/video/ibs-ridgid-fuego-circular-saw.aspx

Mac McQuinn
06-22-2009, 11:16 PM
I believe you mean the Fuego saw.
I have one and it's a great little saw. Received favourable reviews pretty well everywhere.

http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/2007/04/ridgid_fuego_612_framing_saw.php

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/how-to/video/ibs-ridgid-fuego-circular-saw.aspx

Brian,

Yes, that's the saw i looked at today. The HD i went to was out of stock, just had a display model. Neat saw. Would like to see some sort of DC port or system though. Perhaps something could be improvised.

Thanks for the links,

Mac

Phil Geary
06-22-2009, 11:22 PM
hi i am new to this site and want to post a question. how do i put in a new post????

Phil Geary
06-22-2009, 11:25 PM
thats HELP!

george wilson
06-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Look at the home page page that shows all the topics. There is a rectangular button that says POST NEW THREAD up at the top left hand area. Push it. Fill out a meaningful title,then post your question in the larger box below. Then,press the button at the bottom of the box that says SAVE. To make changes ,press the edit button,then type in your changes,and press save again.

Phil Geary
06-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks i will give it a shot

Rick Christopherson
06-23-2009, 1:10 AM
The Ridgid 6.5" Framing saw was interesting due to light weight(8lbs). Has anyone any experience with this model? They are able to keep the weight down by using high-strength aluminum for the wheels and storing the hamster food separate from the saw. :D

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=121477&stc=1&d=1245733596

Jim Pritchett
06-23-2009, 9:01 AM
It's a shame that you can no longer buy one that I had in my earlier years as a trim carpenter. It was a Craftsman 6-1/2 ", all silver metal. not one bit of plastic anywhere. It was probably the best circular saw I ever had. Built by the Singer Corp. it really was a Singer sawing machine. LOL

Jim Pritchett

Don Orr
06-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I have both the Rigid and PC you mention. Like them both. I use the Rigid for light work and the PC for heavier duty. Dust collection is good but cumbersome on the PC. Dust DEFLECTION on the Rigid is not bad. If you get the Rigid make sure to register it for the lifetime warranty. My Rigid came with a tool bag and 2 blades. Good deal for $99 I think.

Mac McQuinn
06-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Jim & Don,
Thanks guys for the tips. I think I'm going to go with the Ridgid if they ever restock.

Jim,
I remember the Craftsman 6.5", great saw, and too bad its not made any longer.
It seems like everything is China made any more, what a shame:(

Mac

Chris Tsutsui
06-23-2009, 10:56 AM
If I ever got a new circular saw I would get one with dust collection port or at least a dust collection bag.

I'm not sure if I'd chose one that's battery powered as I'm bad enough as it is trying to manage rechargeable batteries for my camera and drills...

Kyle Iwamoto
06-23-2009, 3:05 PM
IMO get a worm drive, virtually any of them. The Skill Mag is the top saw for me. Lots of power, the saw is more compact, meaning not as wide as a sidewinder. Makes for easier cuts with a straightedge. Lots of power. I have the original skill worm drive. I'd like to upgrade, but can't justify it until the saw dies. May never have to upgrade. It has lots of power. Oh and it is left handed.

Mac McQuinn
06-23-2009, 9:44 PM
Kyle,

I agree with you entirely concerning the worm drive saw, Excellent tool with great accuracy and I would not be without one on the job site in my younger days. That said, my arthitic shoulder complains a bit when holding 15lbs extended and unfortunately I'm not getting any younger:rolleyes:. These days I'm trying to work smart and not hard so a lighter saw will more than likely get the nod.

Thanks,

Mac

Peter Pedisich
06-23-2009, 9:59 PM
Mac,

The Ridgid Fuego looks like a nice saw, I checked it out closely one time.
One thing to keep in mind is the RPM - I believe it's a good bit faster than a typical circular saw. Probably beneficial in wood, but may not be good for some other materials.

Some Makita models are relatively light, and there is a Milwaukee with a great adjustable handle that looks like a top quality saw.

Good Luck,

Pete

Mac McQuinn
06-25-2009, 6:25 PM
Well guys, I sprung and bought the Ridgid today. I've a little Patio project I'm finishing for a client and need to remove some rafter tails while in place for reconstruction. The lightness & compactness of this saw should be of benefit here. After a couple weeks of use, I'll publish my roadtest.

Mac