PDA

View Full Version : Clogged plumbing - rules of thumb?

Stephen Tashiro
06-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Plumbing clogs at my house have followed a certain pattern. I'm wondering if others have similar rules-of-thumb.

Kitchen sink: It clogs up where drain line enters the wall and slightly beyond that point where pipe in the wall makes a 90 degree turn. The trap doesn't clog. The cure is always snaking. Fortunately, there is a clean-out plug on the outside wall of the house for this.

Bathroom sink: It clogs up between the drain and the top of the trap. The trap itself doesn't get clogged. Cure: Cut a 3/4 inch wide strip from a plastic bottle. Cut many slanting notches into the side of the strip so it resembles a feather with about a 5/8 inch stem. Push this strip into the drain and slowly "saw" up and down to cut up the debris while you run the water.

Commode: Can be fixed with the plunger unless it is (or was) a back up of the main sewer line. The problem there was invasion of roots in the main sewer. Cured by roto-rooter type snaking. The line was fiber pipe ("Orangeburg"). But the roots invaded where the city had connected their new PVC line to mine using a rubber boot. I had my line replaced with PVC and the plumber buried that connection in concrete.

Jim Finn
06-22-2009, 6:24 PM
[QUOTE=Stephen Tashiro;
Kitchen sink: It clogs up...//////////Stop using disposal//////

Brad Wood
06-22-2009, 7:39 PM
My step sons .. grown up adults living on their own ...

Here is my number one rule of thumb when then come to my house... (and I have to remind them every time)

dump
flush
wipe
flush

I don't seem to have this problem, but every stinkin' time they come to my house, they seem to be compelled to stink up my bathroom and plug up my toilet... and oddly enough half our toilet paper is gone from the roll
If they don't follow this procedure, I point them in the direction of the plunger

idiots