PDA

View Full Version : Resolved: SMC not remembering me anymore

Larry Browning
06-22-2009, 11:58 AM
This is probably not specific to this forum, but I don't know anywhere else to ask.
Lately, whenever I come to smc my browser does not remember me. I have to logon each time I visit. This only happens on my home computer. The one at work still works as it always did.

I am running Firefox 3.0.11 on both machines. I have looked for some sort of setting in the browser options, but cannot find anything that fixes this.

Any ideas?

Frank Trinkle
06-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Check your browser settings and make sure you have cookies enabled.
That's usually the first troubleshooting call for issues like yours.

Steve Schlumpf
06-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Larry - I use the same browser.

Click on Tools, then options, then privacy. About mid-page make sure you have Accept Cookies checked. Then click on Exceptions on the right side. That takes you to a chart of web sites. Scroll down to Sawmillcreek.org and change the status from 'Block' to 'Allow'. That should allow your home system to accept and use cookies from the Creek.

Matt Meiser
06-22-2009, 1:38 PM
Often this type of thing is because your cookies are corrupted, assuming it just suddenly stopped without you changing anything. If your remove all cookies, then log back in it will fix thing.

Jim Becker
06-24-2009, 3:43 PM
Often this type of thing is because your cookies are corrupted, assuming it just suddenly stopped without you changing anything. If your remove all cookies, then log back in it will fix thing.

I suggest you first try removing just the SMC cookie(s) rather than blowing them all away. Complete cookie removal is a pain in the you-know-what because that means all saved logins are blown away, etc.

Chuck Saunders
06-24-2009, 4:06 PM
Who are you again? Sorry just jokin' around

Aaron Koehl
06-25-2009, 1:26 PM
Also, sometimes bookmarks can be suspect.

Make sure you're going to http://www.sawmillcreek.org and not http://sawmillcreek.org or some other variant. Try logging in under the correct URL, then click the 'Logout' button, and restart your browser, which will ensure your SawmillCreek cookie is destroyed.

Jay Jolliffe
06-25-2009, 1:42 PM
It started for me about 2 months ago. I have to log in every time I come here. I tried Aarons way but that didn't work either. It work's now. If I don't log out. I didn't know if you log out the cookie is destroyed. Is that at all web sites?

Larry Browning
06-25-2009, 2:51 PM
Sorry I have not updated everyone on this issue, but I have been very busy with grand kids. ( which have a higher priority than SMC btw );)

I have checked the cookie settings in Firefox, all is as it should be. I have also cleared all cookies via ccleaner and also from within FF. Still no joy:(

Other forum's such as Family woodworking seem to work fine. I mention them because they also are vbulletin based.

Uh Oh! Looks like I was wrong about family woodworking. It also does not remember me.

Larry Browning
07-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Ok, another update on this. After some further experimenting I have discovered that as long as I do not exit FF it will remember me. This is true for all web sites that have a logon that can be remembered, from Amazon.com to Gmail to SMC.....everywhere. This is only true in FF that is installed on my home PC. I have FF on a USB thumb drive and when I run FF from that it remembers me just fine.

There is a setting in the privacy options tab that says "Clear history when Firefox closes" which is unchecked. But "accept cookies from sites" (no exceptions) and "Accept third party cookies: keep until they expire" are both check on. What other settings can I look at that might have a effect on this?

BTW: I upgraded to FF3.5 but that had no effect on this problem.

Larry Browning
07-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Finally some joy! I have worked on this problem for several weeks. I started here, thinking that is was isolated to SMC. I then discovered that it was actually something in my settings of FireFox that affected all sites that required a logon. I tried all the suggestions from here, FF specific forums, and even Tech Guys. Nothing seemed to work. So I finally decided to completely uninstall Firefox and reinstall. But before I did, I backed up my bookmarks and made note of all my FF addons (I only had 4 or 5). I then completely uninstalled having it remove all personal settings. I then reinstalled FF and imported my backed up bookmarks. I then manually re-added all my addons and eureka! SMC now remembers me. The whole process only took me about 10 minutes. Wish I had done this earlier!

Still don't know what caused this, but it is fixed now!

Steve Schlumpf
07-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Larry - glad to hear you got it figured out! Had to have been a pain to deal with each time you went to a site!