PDA

View Full Version : Glaser gouges

Mike Minto
06-22-2009, 10:46 AM
does anyone know of a source for Glaser gouges? i have one, and am looking for another or two, either v10 or v15 - can't find them anywhere. thanks

Andy Pogue
06-22-2009, 11:10 AM
try the AAW web site

Mike Minto
06-22-2009, 11:17 AM
thanks; i should have said i've seen those, didn't want to pay a premium higher than the 'regular' glasers already sell for, though - and i'm looking for the aluminum handles. actually, just got off the phone with 'highland' woodworking - they still have 2 bedans, 2 beading, and 1 skew in stock from glaser - they are the ones i bought my 3/8" bowl gouge from last year, and this is all they have left of the v10's. :eek:

Greg Haugen
06-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Read the fine print of the AAW gouges. They are from the "new" owner of the brand and if I recall right the AAW gouges were actually M4 steel for some reason. Which is still a good steel but not the "V" levels.

"Glaser" gouges, it's a tough call. Production and Service are not up to "par".:confused:

If you want a great alternative that reliable, take a look at the Thompson gouges, thompsonlathetools.com and get a David Peebles handle for it, www.bowlturner.com. I have this combination and absolutely love it!!! Not associated with Doug or Dave, just an extremely happy customer!!!:D

Gordon Seto
06-22-2009, 12:26 PM
There is a 1/2" Glaser bowl gouge for Benefit Auction donated by Jerry Glaser now. The current bid price is $220.
You may want to use Google search to find out where the auction is.

curtis rosche
06-22-2009, 2:19 PM
if youre looking for a "v" steel gouge, why not just go with thompson? are glasser gouges better?

Bill Bolen
06-22-2009, 3:26 PM
+1 for the Thompson tools. Great steel, great price...Bill..

sascha gast
06-22-2009, 4:04 PM
I have Glaser and Thompson and truly love both. but if I had to pick today I'd go thompson, though I do like the glaser handles, I like the Monster handles on my Thompson gouges, they feel great, great balance and just a joy to use, and
Doug is a great guy, still around to service your tools or answer questions

Gordon Seto
06-22-2009, 4:31 PM
When you use up your Glaser gouges, you can order replacement blades from Thompson. You have to let him know that they are used for Glaser handles; the shaft is different diameter.

Thompson gouges only made from V10 (A-11) steel (no V-15 steel). They are the same steel and heat / cryogenic treatment as Jerry Glaser originally did.

Mike Minto
06-22-2009, 4:34 PM
thanks for all the information regarding the thompson tools - i have one of those, too - but as i said, i was looking for a source of the glaser tools, not alternatives thereof.

Reed Gray
06-22-2009, 7:37 PM
I don't think Glaser tools are producing any more. Stewart Batty was working with them, but will have his own ones out around the end of the year. Personally, I never liked the Glaser handles. Just too much weight, and not properly balanced for my tastes. I do prefer the wood handles.
robo hippy