PDA

View Full Version : Claro Walnut 4 for 1

Jeff Nicol
06-22-2009, 9:57 AM
Here are the four bowls I made from the first chunk of the Claro walnut I got from Mark Norman. The big one will be going back to Mark to start his collection of SMC member turnings besides his own! Some day he may be able to start the "Norman gallery of fine woodturnigs" Kind of has a nice ring to it !!!! Well any way here they are and then I am back to the shop, going to get hot so I have to get the air going for the day and night. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 90's with dangerous heat indexes so I need the shop cool! The little one I finished all the way, I plugged the hole where the screw chuck was with some turquoise and it turned out pretty good! It is 3" wide and 2" high and 3/32 thick.

Thanks,

Jeff

curtis rosche
06-22-2009, 11:09 AM
nice bowls. did you go through the bottom on purpose on the last one? that stone reallt stands out. nice work

David Christopher
06-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Jeff, those look really good...imagine how much waste you would have without the coring tool......what kind of finish are you going to use.

Greg Haugen
06-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Beautiful Bowls Jeff!! Very nice!! The walnut species are some of my favorite woods. Nicely Done!!

Steve Schlumpf
06-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Looks like they are going to be beautiful once finished! Really like the small bowl and the contrast between the walnut and turquoise!

Jeff Nicol
06-22-2009, 12:37 PM
The little one is finished with some Antique oil and carnuba put on when the oil was still wet. It buffs out real nice when I do this and the mix to make a pretty hard finish. The others will be done on the same lines, oil to get the grain out and most likely many coats of it to give it depth. With some fine sanding and buffing they should come out great!

Curtis, I said in the original post the hole is where I drilled for the screw chuck. So when I was finishing the bottom it came through, just could not waste that little piece of the beautiful wood! So the turquoise did the trick and looks real good.

Jeff

Mike Svoma
06-22-2009, 1:34 PM
Nicely done sir. I like the small bowl with the turqoise inlay.

Air conditioning? Aren't you going down to the mill tomorrow? LOL.

Try to stay cool.

Mike

curtis rosche
06-22-2009, 1:43 PM
did you turn the turqoise to finish it or just sand it? ive heard that it is really really hard on tools

Jeff Nicol
06-22-2009, 4:59 PM
did you turn the turqoise to finish it or just sand it? ive heard that it is really really hard on tools
Curtis ,this stuff is the "Inlace" brand and I think it is just chunks of acrylic as it turns very easy.

Jeff

alex carey
06-22-2009, 5:41 PM
Looks like he gave you some great wood, I love the shape of the first one. Nicely done.

Mark Norman
06-22-2009, 8:55 PM
That wood is some hard stuff! I bet it took a lil while to core em out eh?

I wish I could spend a week with you in your shop so you could show this noob some proper turning technique.

Take your time finishing, cant rush perfection:D:D

Thanks again!!

Jeff Nicol
06-22-2009, 10:41 PM
That wood is some hard stuff! I bet it took a lil while to core em out eh?

I wish I could spend a week with you in your shop so you could show this noob some proper turning technique.

Take your time finishing, cant rush perfection:D:D

Thanks again!!
Mark, Hop on a plane and come on east! I would show you everything I think I know! It would be a blast! I got cold beer too!

Jeff

Maria Alvarado
06-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Jeff,
Those are really nice, I think I like the big calabash best. The grain in that wood is truly terrific, I'm glad you were able to make the most of it.

Mark Norman
06-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Ya got a cot ta set up in the shop for me to sleep on Jeff? Given enough beer I can sleep anywhere...lol

I think I'll wait till fall when it cools down some;)

Maria, The big calabash is mine ;)...I'm sure to cherish it as an heirloom for years to come. I tell ya what though, I'll send ya some of the walnut if ya wanna make me a porridger and spurtal:D I have plenty of it. Shoot me a pm.

[/hijack]

Jim Kountz
06-22-2009, 11:56 PM
The bowls look great Jeff, the grain is really nice!!
I love coring bowls dont you? Its nice not to have to waste all that perfectly good wood. I always feel like a "bought one got two or more free!"

What a deal right??

Jarrod McGehee
06-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Jeff, beer is good. but people are crazy.

I don't know if you listen to country. it's by Billy Currington. I like that song.

Jeff Nicol
06-23-2009, 6:57 AM
Mark, I have lots of room in the 100 year old 5 bedroom house, so no trouble finding a place to lay your head after a long day of turning! It would be a hoot to have you come out this way! I would love anyone who has an interest in turning to stop by it is fun to help and share what I have learned.

Jim, I thing buying the Mcnaughton system was the best investment I ever made, besides the 3520B! I like to have a ton of curls at my feet too but saving the best woods is a great way to get more bang for your buck!

Thanks guys and hope to meet you all and shake your hands in person! Maria you gals too!

Jeff

Mark Norman
06-24-2009, 2:04 AM
I bet I could find a big pile of shavings to throw a sheet over and call a bed ta lay me head:D
Jeff, thanks for the open invite, I just may take ya up on it some day.

I'll bring some single malt and maybe Maria would join us in the turning and learning:)

Jeff Nicol
06-24-2009, 6:02 AM
Jeff, beer is good. but people are crazy.

I don't know if you listen to country. it's by Billy Currington. I like that song.
Jarrod, Country is what I have on 95% of the time in the shop! The other 5% is classic rock. Sunday mornings the country station I like has some goofy Nascar thing on and they talk to much! I really like Billy Currington!!

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
06-24-2009, 6:07 AM
Mark, Pretty soon we will have to get a larger venue and start the annual SMC national/international turning jamboree!! Could be fun, 3 days of music, turning, food, drink and camaraderie! Any multi millionaires yoiu know that could donate to the cause? This is how big things get started!

Take care my friend,

Jeff

Maria Alvarado
06-24-2009, 7:06 AM
Did someone say "single malt"? :D

Shoot, I've used my mcnaughton set and lived to tell the tale, but not as successfully as you, Jeff. I'm all for a kelton jamboree!

Mark Norman
06-24-2009, 9:16 AM
Good idea Jeff, I'll start asking around abut the millionair thing:p

Jeff Nicol
06-24-2009, 3:58 PM
Good idea Jeff, I'll start asking around abut the millionair thing:p
Mark, I keep buying the lottery tickets, maybe tonight is the night! Then what a woodturning party we shall have!!

Jeff