PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 14" Bandsaw/Resaw ???

Jim Eller
06-22-2009, 9:55 AM
I posted this on another forum but only got one response so I'll try for more comments here.

I am currently looking at a larger bandsaw. Currently have a Delta 14" but need more resaw capacity. Have given some thought to riser block but have seen a few negative comments about that route.

I looked at the Rikon Model 10-325 14" at Woodcraft which has a resaw capacity of 13" resaw capacity.

Now to the nitty gritty.

The saw seemed like ok quality, the price seemed about right but.............. the table trunnion. Only one!! and small. The 18" is designed the same way.

It seems like this would lessen table stability quite a bit.

Comments please.

Thanks,
Jim

Stephen Edwards
06-22-2009, 10:23 AM
There are lots of threads on here about this topic. You can search the forums to find lots of info and opinions.

Many people, myself included are quite pleased with the resaw capacity of a 14" BS with riser block. I have a G0555X that suits my needs perfectly. You should determine how often you're going to need the extra capacity, what type of wood, etc.

For occasional 10-12" resaw I wouldn't rule out the 14" w/riser block. If this is gonna be a daily thing, perhaps you need a larger saw.

My two cents..........

Loren Hedahl
06-22-2009, 10:29 AM
The table trunnion needs to support the weight of the table plus the downward cutting force of the blade plus the weight of the wood placed on the table minus the support provided by outboard roller stands (if used).

If it can do that without significant deflection, it should be adequate.

I would think Rikon engineers have not only made the necessary studies and calculations in designing this tool, but have also tested it for performance and reliability.

You could easily perform a test by calculating the above weights, by applying the weight to the table and measuring the deflection. If the amount of deflection is satisfactory for your needs, you got a deal. Otherwise, no cigar.

For me, if everything about the saw perfectly fit my needs except this one questionable item, and to purchase a saw with no exceptional items would raise the cost out of my budget, I would find a work-around.

That work-around wouldn't be my credit card, but would likely be a couple of lengths of 2 X 4 strategically placed to adequately support the table. I know such a solution might seem like coming from a nut case, but I'm sure it would work.

Want to do it even cheaper? Make an extension for your Delta 14. A nicely made hardwood extension will do the same job as the chunk of cast iron they sell for the purpose.

It's your money, so there are a couple of ideas to help you spend it wisely.

Cary Falk
06-22-2009, 10:37 AM
I had a Delta 14" with a rise block and it was not resawing like I wanted it to so don't feel bad. I move to a Grizzly G0513x2. It has one trunion supporting the table also. There are a lot of people that have the Rikon 14" and 18" and like them. I don't think I heard anything bad about the trunion. HTH.

David Christopher
06-22-2009, 11:53 AM
I have the Rikon 10 325 14" and Ive cut everything imaginable..Ive cut red cedar logs the had to trimed to go under the 13" hight and 10" QSWO Ive had no problems...plenty of resaw hight and plenty of power and did not have to buy a new tool and then modify with a riser block...bottom line... I would buy another one

Dale Coons
06-22-2009, 12:06 PM
I've not had any problems with mine either--I've pushed 10 inch logs thru, and have reswawn 3x12 cherry without any problems. I really like mine.

Myk Rian
06-22-2009, 12:35 PM
What problems have you heard about using a 14" Delta w/riser.
That's what I use and have no problems at all.

Jeff Willard
06-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Laguna LT14 SUV. 14" resaw capacity, 3HP, $1500. It's Chinese, but feature-packed for a 14" saw. I just pulled the trigger on one.

Jim Eller
06-22-2009, 1:17 PM
Well, that was a pretty good response in a short period of time. Thanks to all.

Myk - The two major negatives I have read on this forum and others about the riser block mod are, lack of power and quality of cur(drift).

Jim

glenn bradley
06-22-2009, 4:15 PM
You're so close to the price of a larger saw, I would be tempted to check out that option. I run a 2HP, 17" saw and have been happy with it.

Jim Eller
06-22-2009, 4:23 PM
You're so close to the price of a larger saw, I would be tempted to check out that option. I run a 2HP, 17" saw and have been happy with it.

"I run a 2HP, 17" saw..............." Would that be a Grizzly?

Like I said, I like the stuff the Rikon offers, except for the single trunnion. If it's not a problem, it's not a problem. I'm just looking for verification, either way.

.........and, what about aluminum trunnion(s) vs. steel trunnion(s)??

Thanks,
Jim

Myk Rian
06-22-2009, 8:43 PM
Myk - The two major negatives I have read on this forum and others about the riser block mod are, lack of power and quality of cur(drift).

Jim
Lack of power - Take your time. That makes a cleaner cut anyway.
Drift - I use the flutter method to set tension, and adjust the fence for the angle the blade cuts on. I always get a resaw that lays flat on my TS top.

Charlie Plesums
06-23-2009, 10:34 PM
I have a Grizzly 0555 with riser block - much better than the Jet 14 inch it replaced. But no comparison with the MM24 inch 4.8 hp saw that shares room in my shop now. Can a 14 inch low power saw do resawing, with or without riser block. Certainly. But nothing like a "good" bandsaw. Makes me feel like the question, could you dig your basement with a wheelbarrow and a pick up truck. Sure. But would you want to?

After I got the big bandsaw with the carbide blade, I routinely cut veneers 1/16" or less, and cut several before I have to joint the face again. The cuts off the bandsaw are often ready to glue down. And last week I cut some miters, expecting to do some fancy trimming, and they were ready to glue directly off the bandsaw. I did keep the 14 inch Grizzly for cutting curves and other work... great saw! But not for everything.

Does everyone need a big bandsaw? No. But don't expect the performance of a big bandsaw off any low cost 14 inch.

Please don't shoot the messenger.