PDA

View Full Version : Freshman orientation last week

Mitchell Andrus
06-22-2009, 8:13 AM
Jonathan and I went to freshman orientation at the University of North Dakota last week. He’s enrolled for a BBA in Aviation Mgm’t. Yrs 2, 3, 4 will include chopper flight school as an add-on.

A few pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/missionfurnishings/UNDTrip609?feat=directlink

In less than 2 months we're gonna be empty nesters.

Pat Germain
06-22-2009, 9:47 AM
Hey, Mitchell. I'd be interested in any info you and your son turned up about job opportunities for Aviation Management. I have a friend who has a degree in Aviation Management and he's currently delivering batteries for a living. The poor guy just can't find a job in the aviation industry. I'm wondering if he's just in the wrong place at the wrong time or if this type of degree works best as a springboard for pilot training.

Thanks!

Mitchell Andrus
06-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Hey, Mitchell. I'd be interested in any info you and your son turned up about job opportunities for Aviation Management. I have a friend who has a degree in Aviation Management and he's currently delivering batteries for a living. The poor guy just can't find a job in the aviation industry. I'm wondering if he's just in the wrong place at the wrong time or if this type of degree works best as a springboard for pilot training.

Thanks!

He's got to also have a pilot's license, pref. with IFR and Comm'l ratings. Some of his classmates are going to major in Comm'l Aviation but won't have a degree in Business Admin, so if they loose their medical clearance their career is shot. Any pile of resume's will be split into 3 piles: pilots with college degrees / pilot only / college degree only. Guess which pile gets called in for interviews first?

Yep, it's tough out there - in ALL industries. New pilots are paid zip and they really shake their tree to see who can 'make it'.

Jonathan's got his license and is in ROTC and will have a job in the army as an officer flying choppers (full scholarship 'cept room and bd.). Not just a job, a career on day one out of college.

Garth Keel
06-22-2009, 1:16 PM
These days the more pieces of paper you have, the better the chance of getting an opportunity. Good experience in the military is a definite plus. Good Luck.