PDA

View Full Version : A "Little" bit of work on fathers day

Jeff Nicol
06-22-2009, 8:01 AM
Here is my production for fathers day and though it may be small the time spent on them is great!!! What was I thinking on the little perfume bottle with dauber/dabber? Any way I am short on minis and the e-mails are piling up so I had to get going on some! I need about 200 to stay ahead of the masses but soon I will need glasses! One is a jack pine cone with corian and bowling ball ( lidded jar) next is a dyed red spalted maple HF bowl the next is made from a piece of man made granite material that I got from a shop just a few blocks from my house. They do countertops and bathroom walls and the like. The last but not least is a little perfume bottle with a little wrist/neck dabber in it. It is made from a piece of old screwdriver handle and the stopper is old bowling ball. I may have to use some magnification on the next ones this tiny! So am I nuts or what? Let me know what you think!

Jeff

Maria Alvarado
06-22-2009, 8:14 AM
Wow Jeff, do you have a microscope attached to your lathe? Those are all great! I think my fav is the pine cone. The pattern is just right for the size of the jar. I can't even imagine how you hollowed the yellow one. Yes, you're nuts, but thank goodness you share!

Bernie Weishapl
06-22-2009, 8:20 AM
Great looking pieces Jeff. Really like the pine cone.

Jeff Nicol
06-22-2009, 9:17 AM
Thanks Maria and Bernie, The pine cone pieces are a great seller, but are tedious to do as if I don't pay attention they fly apart where all the little petals are! They lend them selves to HF's best and with the addition of the brown bowling ball and the ivory corian it worked out well! I have some real little hollowing tools that I used dental picks to make and they work real good, on the little one I have to clean out the little curls a lot or they will catch on the tool and make bad things happen! I will be doing more today so stay tuned!

Thanks again!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
06-22-2009, 9:17 AM
Jeff - it's official - you're nuts!

Would love to see these guys mounted up on the Mustard Monster using a Stronghold chuck- waiting to be roughed out! ROFLOL!

Nice work on all these little guys! I like the pine cone best just because of the unique natural pattern! Hope you sell all of them!

Terry Quiram
06-22-2009, 9:18 AM
VERY NICE minature work. I guess the question of whether or not you are nuts depends on how well you are getting paid for them.:D

I would be interested to know what your market is for these pieces. In my area they are cute but no one is interested in buying.:mad:

Jeff Nicol
06-22-2009, 10:03 AM
VERY NICE minature work. I guess the question of whether or not you are nuts depends on how well you are getting paid for them.:D

I would be interested to know what your market is for these pieces. In my area they are cute but no one is interested in buying.:mad:
Terry, I have been selling them on e-bay for a few years now and have sold hundreds of them! I have a pretty good following and they buy multiple pieces. I have a lady that lives close by and she is a member of a miniature club. I took 26 of them to one of thier meetings and sold 24 of them for over $230. So it depends on who you get to look at them, see if there is a miniature group in your area and go from there. I did look on the other site that is good for hand made items and that is "ETSY" it is not like e-bay as you put the price on it and there is no time limit that it can be on your page. I am going to try it some day but so far have not. I list them for $6 to $12 depending on the work involved and have sold some for over $60! You just never know what people want! But I like it!!

Thanks and have fun with the little one!

Jeff

Scott Conners
06-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Jeff,
Those are pretty impressive! What are you using to chuck up the smallest stuff like the lids and the perfume bottle?

David Drickhamer
06-23-2009, 12:28 AM
Yes Jeff, your nuts. Welcome to my world.:D
Nice work.
Dave

Mark Norman
06-23-2009, 1:31 AM
Like attracts like, I think we are both certifiable. You just have more experience and yer getting paid for it:p

Great work, I would need a magnifying glass and a steady rest...:eek:

Jeff Nicol
06-23-2009, 6:51 AM
Thanks so much for all your comments! I will come up with a tutorial and maybe a step by step video of my mini turnings! Then that should give you all the insight on the fun I have making mini's! I will post it when I get it done, just another thing to do on the "LIST" the list is about 20 pages so far and growing of things to try!

Have a great day all!

Jeff

Frank Kobilsek
06-24-2009, 5:10 PM
Jeff,

I confused. Aren't you the same guy with the homemade super duper log hauling trailer? If I had the skills, the market and enjoyed these minis as much as you described I would not strain my back to haul or cut logs.

I like wheeling a chain saw as much as the next guy but getting wood to the lathe is the hardest work left in my life.

Those are very nice.
Frank

Jeff Nicol
06-24-2009, 8:02 PM
Jeff,

I confused. Aren't you the same guy with the homemade super duper log hauling trailer? If I had the skills, the market and enjoyed these minis as much as you described I would not strain my back to haul or cut logs.

I like wheeling a chain saw as much as the next guy but getting wood to the lathe is the hardest work left in my life.

Those are very nice.
Frank
Frank, I can't ever turn down free wood! Some day I will have a big auction and then it will be all worth it! I sell lots of wood to many people so it is good that way and now I am selling it on e-bay too so that is good also. Money is money!

I like it all!

Jeff

Jim Kountz
06-24-2009, 8:36 PM
I dont know how you do that but I would love to learn, get to work on that tutorial darn ya!! LOL

Nice job Jeff!!

Jeff Nicol
06-25-2009, 6:42 AM
I dont know how you do that but I would love to learn, get to work on that tutorial darn ya!! LOL

Nice job Jeff!!
Jim, I will get on it! It has been so stinking hot that I run out of steam or should I say turn into steam! I will get the cameras set up and take some stills and some video and get it all to my favorite video producer and get it going!

Jeff

Rusty Smith
06-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I know you said you are quite busy, but I for one can hardly wait for your tutorial and video.

I can see where these would be great gifts for little girls in addition to the mini collector folks.

Jeff Nicol
06-25-2009, 1:13 PM
I know you said you are quite busy, but I for one can hardly wait for your tutorial and video.

I can see where these would be great gifts for little girls in addition to the mini collector folks.
Rusty, Just came in for lunch and a little ice time on the shoulders then back at it for a while. I will start taking some progression pictures from beginning to the finsished mini. It may take a few parts to get it all done. It should be fun for me too, I like to share what I have learned over the last 6 years. Thanks for the interest I will be listing these and some more on e-bay soon to see what is going out there.

Jeff

Ryan Baker
06-25-2009, 8:06 PM
Nice miniatures Jeff. I have been doing some miniatures lately too when I can fit them in -- they are fun to do for sure.