PDA

View Full Version : Lapping Plane Soles

Gil Knowles
06-21-2009, 8:49 PM
Hi
I purchased an older Stanley Bailey No. 4 and a 220 at a flea market. I have a LV steel lapping plate with the 5 grits the finest being 600. I have gone up to 600. My question is should I bring out the finer waterstones and polish further and if so to what grit.

Many thanks

Joel Goodman
06-21-2009, 8:51 PM
600 is plenty fine for the sole.

Bob Easton
06-21-2009, 8:55 PM
600 is more than enough. I took my #4 to 320 and am very pleased with it.

Chris Kennedy
06-21-2009, 9:27 PM
Not to hijack the thread . . . .

How do you like the LV lapping plate? I have been looking at one with interest.

Cheers,

Chris

jerry nazard
06-22-2009, 7:35 AM
+1 more information on lapping plate. Thanks! -Jerry

Steve Rozmiarek
06-22-2009, 9:09 AM
Before you go to the trouble of lapping, do those planes actually need it? I've never seen a 220 that would warrant the effort.

Gil Knowles
06-22-2009, 8:48 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Chris I am far from an expert and this is the first time that I have used the lapping plate. Having said that in my opinion it works very well another fine product from Lee Valley.
Steve the number 4 is pre WW2 and in good shape, the 220 I know is not that great a plane. Yesterday was a very nice day, hot for a change so I decided to spend a few hours in the backyard lapping the planes and also having a few beers.
One more question do you lap the sides of your planes?

Again many thanks

george wilson
06-22-2009, 9:52 PM
I'd advise lapping your planes on plate glass with wet or dry stuck to it. The lapping plate will not be flat after you lap a plane on it,sad to say. lapping plates have to be reground after a little use,which a machine shop could do. You must take care to use the plate evenly all over as much as possible. If your plane is concave,how are you going to do that? It would stay flat longer if you save it for lapping chisels and plane irons. You can more easily move them around the plate for even wear.

In general,I advise buying pieces of plate glass that can be discarded for lapping.