PDA

View Full Version : PM 2700 shaper spindle install

Philip Johnson
06-21-2009, 8:37 PM
I got a new Pm 2700 a few weeks ago and just getting around to playing with it. It appears the 1 1/4 spindle is a little different then the manual shows.

The manual says to install the spindle and put then put spindle nut on, there is a collar at the base of the spindle which is bigger then the nut, so won't work as the manual says.

Also it shows a large spindle nut on the bottom near the pulley, I have the nut but there is like a smaller nut with lock tabs on it, which the larger nut will not go over.

Anyone else have a problem???

Jay Brewer
06-21-2009, 9:18 PM
Install the nut on the spindle first( From the bottom of the spindle ) as tight as you can get it. then install the draw bar in the bottom of the spindle. Last, install the entire assembly into the spindle cartridge, tightening the large bolt to the cartridge, then install the bolt onto the bottom of the drawbar and tighten with the taper of the nut facing up.

It took me a while to figure it out also, hope this helps.

Philip Johnson
06-21-2009, 9:31 PM
Is the manual wrong or is it just me???? I finally got it on but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help

Tom Hintz
06-22-2009, 3:01 AM
Is the manual wrong or is it just me???? I finally got it on but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help

I think you can get an update for the manual from Powermatic. I had a similar problem, talked to Powermatic and was told to do it as Jay describes. Worked fine.

Mike Heidrick
06-22-2009, 8:08 AM
Philip, do you like your PM2700 so far? It really looks like a nice machine. Any deals out there on them? How many shapers do you own?

Philip Johnson
06-22-2009, 9:26 AM
Mike so far I really like it, it really seems well made and fit and finish is excellent. I bought the 5 hp one and the powermatic power feed a few weeks ago when woodcraft had a 20 percent off sale. The fence is especially nice and very adjustable, dust collection is also very good.

There are a few internet places that will discount it somewhat if you search around.

Charlie Plesums
06-23-2009, 11:16 PM
The manual is wrong. Follow your common sense.

The PM 2700 is a very good shaper, but be sure the knobs are VERY tight. I have several notches in my fence already. The fit and finish was disappointing... castings that were supposed to slide had casting sand painted in and had to be sanded and waxed. The feather boards are more problem than help IMHO. The dust collection is just adequate (not aerodynamic), but it may be my dust collector which is barely adequate for other uses, (but works fine on my other shaper). There is a place that catches dropped parts that is nearly impossible to access (after 30 minutes my wife got her smaller hand in it to retrieve a dropped knob). The mobility setup is outstanding. Changing speeds is a PITA with the non-v (or multi-V) belt used. DRO is excellent. Magnetic safety switch is a crappy gimmick. Precision fence alignment and adjustment is excellent.

Now ask me what I really think.

Lots of good features, and I would do it again, but when it is next to my MiniMax, I can see the difference between a modest cost shaper and a MiniMax. With the Woodcraft 20% off sale, MiniMax wasn't in the running.

Mike Heidrick
06-24-2009, 12:01 AM
I have a new shaper shipping in right now. Hope to have it in a week or so. Its killing me waiting on it!