PDA

View Full Version : Hollowing Newbie questions?

Alan Tolchinsky
06-21-2009, 7:25 PM
Hi All, I've done a fair number of bowls and pens and want to do hollow forms starting with open boxes. Can somebody point me in the right direction for hollowing tools for a small box. Any other suggestions for practicing appreciated also. Thanks. Alan

Steve Schlumpf
06-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Alan - small, open boxes would be a great place to start learning to hollow. This was my first hollowing tool and it worked great! http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12954

Curt Fuller
06-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Alan - small, open boxes would be a great place to start learning to hollow. This was my first hollowing tool and it worked great! http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12954

I think I'd have to second Steve's suggestion. I started with the Sorby curved, swan necked tool and I've never liked it. I've made some similar tools to the straight Sorby tool that are much easier to use.

Wally Dickerman
06-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I have no idea how far I live from Steve Schlumpf. Where the heck is the starting point?

A boring bar as a first hollowing tool is easy to make. I started out with a 3/4 x 3/4 in. mild steel bar about 24 inches long. Bore 2 holes, one in the end and one near the end at about a 20 degree angle. Make them the right size to accept a 3/16 inch, 5 or 10% cobalt steel cutter. You can get both from Enco for not much money. Grind a dome shaped edge on the cutters, epoxy the cutter in the hole and you're in business. Doesn't need a handle. It's quite heavy so you have a good reach off the tool rest and very little torque. It's flat so it rides well on the tool rest.

Wally

Bernie Weishapl
06-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Here are the two I started with. I watched a demo with David Ellsworth and they are about as easy to use as you can get.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=packard&Product_Code=106219&Category_Code=tools-ellsw-hollo

Richard Madison
06-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Ditto what Wally said. Did similar with 1/2" square bar stock by grinding a slot in the end to fit 3/16" tool bit. Drilled and tapped for a set screw, so the tool bit can be positioned at nearly any angle and be quickly removed for sharpening. Made this tool years ago and it it still one of the most frequently used. Can go about 5" deep without much chatter, but would need Wally's 3/4" bar stock to go much deeper.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-22-2009, 2:26 PM
Thanks all. I'm going to make one and if I can't do it then I'll buy. I was looking at HD today and I didn't see any bar material even close to what you used. Is any of this available locally? Thanks again. I can't wait to make some boxes.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-22-2009, 2:42 PM
I have no idea how far I live from Steve Schlumpf. Where the heck is the starting point?

A boring bar as a first hollowing tool is easy to make. I started out with a 3/4 x 3/4 in. mild steel bar about 24 inches long. Bore 2 holes, one in the end and one near the end at about a 20 degree angle. Make them the right size to accept a 3/16 inch, 5 or 10% cobalt steel cutter. You can get both from Enco for not much money. Grind a dome shaped edge on the cutters, epoxy the cutter in the hole and you're in business. Doesn't need a handle. It's quite heavy so you have a good reach off the tool rest and very little torque. It's flat so it rides well on the tool rest.

Wally

Hey Wally, Do you have any pics of yours? I'm trying to order the parts on Enco but I'm not sure what you have there. I see 3/4 x 3/4 bar steel but I'm not sure what carbide cutters you are referring to. Thanks Alan

Bill Bolen
06-22-2009, 3:23 PM
For boxes and hollow turnings 6-8" deep or less a 5/8" soft steel round bar is great for the shaft. Home Depot sells this stockin 3' lengts for $7-$8. The 3/4" bar stock can be ordered on line from Enco. Sorry but I don't remember how much that thicker stock was...Bill..

Wally Dickerman
06-22-2009, 4:04 PM
Hey Wally, Do you have any pics of yours? I'm trying to order the parts on Enco but I'm not sure what you have there. I see 3/4 x 3/4 bar steel but I'm not sure what carbide cutters you are referring to. Thanks Alan

Look under cutting tools. 3/16th inch square. There are 3 choices. HSS, 5% or 10% cobalt. Any of these are good. I've used both 5% or 10% cobalt. The cobalt is quite hard and will hold an edge longer than HSS. The cutter is 2 1/2 in. long. By cutting it in half you get 2 cutters for about $2. Actually it's too hard to cut. At mid-point, cut a notch in each corner with the corner of your grinding wheel. Put it in a plastic bag, put one end in a vise and whack the other end with a hammer...you'll have 2 cutters, one captured in the bag.

Wally

Alan Tolchinsky
06-22-2009, 5:30 PM
Thanks Wally and Bill. I'm hot on the trail now. Much appreciated! Alan