PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Coring / Wood saver for a Jet 1442 lathe

Ken Vonk
06-21-2009, 4:34 PM
Have any of you used a bowl coring system on a medium sized lathe? I have a Jet 1442 and would like your opinions about the bowl savers that are available. What parts would I need for the McNaughton system and also for the Oneway system? Has anyone used the smaller / mini systems from McNaughton and / or Oneway?

Thanks,

Ken Vonk

Ken Glass
06-21-2009, 4:44 PM
Ken,
I am not quite sure, but I think the woodcut coring tools are made for taking the largest core of 12" which would be great on your Jet 1442. Is your swing 14"?. You can find them here: http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/section.php?xSec=11

Reed Gray
06-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Well, if I transferred this right, it should answer most of your questions. A 1 hp motor is a bit minimal, but will work.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=114431

robo hippy

John Frigillana
06-22-2009, 1:59 AM
:) I have a Jet 1220 and currently use the Micro system from Kelton Industries. I have the 3/4 hp motor. It's does the job ,just have to go easy on it. I've cored some Cherry and Walnut from a wood trade that was dry and some Koa and Milo ,that we have in Hawaii. It was a little hairy learning to use it as I'm not quite proficient yet.:rolleyes:

Greg Haugen
06-22-2009, 7:44 AM
Ken, I don't believe that Oneway has a system that will cover 14". The Mini systems are for 10 and 12" then they go to 16" and larger. Oneway just don't make a 14" lathe so I don't think it's been a big push for them to get it done.

The Standard McNaughton and Woodcut systems cover a range of bowls up to 12" to 13". The Mini McNaughton goes to 10".

I agree with Reed about 1 hp being a good "minimum". It can be done on a 3/4 hp but it's a slow process.

As far as which system? Personal Preference. Both will do the job for you.

Reed Gray
06-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Oneway does have a coring blade for a 12 inch lathe. Only one blade, not a set. I would get the Woodcut before the Oneway, and of course, I prefer the McNaughton. Standard or mini set would cover most of what you will do on your lathe, micro set would be too small for most things, unless you are working a lot of exotics and fancy wood and need to save every last scrap.
robo hippy

Reed Gray
06-22-2009, 7:33 PM
Gregg PMd me, but thought I should answer this here. The 12 inch Oneway coring system probably could be adapted to a 14 inch lathe, and they may be able to adapt the 16 inch one down. I don't really know. I did go out and check mine. They adjust up and down via all thread screws in the bottom of the posts, and have tubes for the posts to sit into, or on the smaller system to sit on top of.

robo hippy

Greg Haugen
06-22-2009, 10:11 PM
just FYI, my 16" model will only drop to 7 1/2" at the center of the tip, so a 15" swing, by completely removing the set screw and retaining nut. I'm not sure about the 12" model since it's not really designed to extend an inch higher or obviously core anything larger than about a 10" blank on a 12" swing lathe. Pushing a tool outside of it's "designed range" can be risky.

Reed Gray
06-23-2009, 12:39 PM
If I was going to modify a Oneway to fit a 14 inch lathe, I would scale the 16 inch version down. This kind of makes me wonder if there are any other 14 inch lathes out there. I guess the most common step up from a 12 inch lathe is to go to 16 inch, and 20 to 24 or 25 from that.
robo hippy

Greg Haugen
06-23-2009, 1:09 PM
The only 14" lathes that are common are the Jet and Delta models, both have the Reeves Drive Pulley. It also looks like the Delta model has finally been discontinued since it's no longer on the updated "lathe" page on their site. At least the Jet model is good, sturdy built cast iron and not the "old" outdated open stand that the Delta and Jet 12" lathe is on. My first lathe was the Delta. I felt like I "upgraded" when I bought a Jet mini! LOL!! Jet fixed several issues that the Delta lathe had with their 14" version.

Ken,
If you have a club near you, find out if anyone has either the McNaughton or the Woodcut systems. It's tough to purchase something like that without a "test" drive. Since you're lathe seems to basically be the last 14" swing lathe out there, it may be tough get a system that is dedicated to a 14" swing. I wouldnt advise to get a 12" Oneway and over extend it and as I've mentioned a 16" Oneway will not fit in a 14" swing with out major modifications. Both of the other systems can "go with you" to your next lathe or easily be sold to upgrade then. Here's a good Youtube video on the Woodcut system in case you haven't seen it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQROtnJlVcQ

Good luck and let us know what you decide to purchase and how you like it.

Dick Strauss
06-23-2009, 11:58 PM
Ken,
I'm in the same boat with a Delta 1440. The standard McNaughton tool post+holder+raised blade is about 7.25-7.5" high IIRC, so there is no way for it to work with my 7" center 14" lathe. If I were to cut down the toolpost, I'm pretty sure it would fit my lathe though I wouldn't want to bet on it because I lost my measured drawings.

Reed Gray
06-24-2009, 12:18 PM
There are different lengths and diameters available on the tool posts for the McNaughton. Unfortunatly, the sellers don't seem to ask you which lathe you have in order to send the right post. You can always make it shorter. I do prefer an end grain turned collar to go under the tool rest and around the tool post to keep it at center height or slightly above. You can also use pvc pipe, the heavier/thicker the better There is a lot of chattering and vibration when coring, and most banjos don't have much holding power.

robo hippy

Earl Shackelford
06-25-2009, 5:57 PM
I have a Jet 1442 and the Standard McNaughton bowl coring set. The Reeves drive is not capable to do the coring the belts keep slipping when you get about 1/2 the way in the coring. I am going to try the Bowl Saver but not sure about that set yet. The bowlsaver maybe easier to control the cut and will be easier to move in and out of the cut.

I was going to purchase the mini set of McNaughton bowl coring tools and try them but I have not done so yet.

Reed Gray
06-26-2009, 3:03 AM
Earl,
If the belt is slipping, it isn't the lathe. It takes less pressure with the cutter to stop the lathe on the rim of the bowl than it does near the center, torque and leverage. The blades tend to drift to the outside as you cut, and it is binding in the cut. Open it up a bit. Mostly I will take a little off the inside of the cut, or you can do the outside, or bump the tool rest slightly to the inside. Also, you want speeds of 500 plus for coring. Of course, the tool is sharp.

robo hippy