PDA

View Full Version : Fact=finding sites

Harvey M. Taylor
06-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Ihave relayed far too many articles etc without verifying their truthfulness, and had to apologize for it. Are there any other fact-finding sites in addition to snopes that I can use that readers here know of? Not comfortable having to say "I am sorry' so many times. Max

Mike Henderson
06-21-2009, 11:48 AM
One of the best things you can do is be suspicious and cynical about what you read and require at least two sources (reputable sources) of the information.

Even that's not absolute protection.

Mike

Dale Coons
06-21-2009, 1:18 PM
scambusters.org is another site

John Schreiber
06-21-2009, 6:35 PM
Like you said, www.snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com/) has good stuff.
FactCheck.org (http://www.factcheck.org/)is good too. They deal with politicians on all sides.

I don't usually go to one of them first. I copy some text from the story and Google the text in quotes. I usually get a bunch of repetition of the same story and if I'm lucky, some commentary to help me decide if it is true.

John Schreiber
06-21-2009, 6:40 PM
The other thing you could do is add me to your email list and them send some silly story to your entire email list. Then, I'll research the story and tell you why it was wrong and ask why you didn't check your facts before sending it. And, I'll copy it to everyone else you sent it to. :eek: :D (Not really - - usually.)

Don't know why, but nobody sends me those things any more. :rolleyes:

The other thing you could do is just not send anything which is a forwarded story. It's probably not true.

Jamie Delker
06-22-2009, 9:33 AM
Factcheck.org is one to be leery of too though, they've been known to put up misleading information... whether it was purposeful or otherwise I won't speculate, but they do get a lot of funding from a source known to be politically biased, so YMMV.

I wouldn't trust just one or two locations to prove the veracity of a story, do a little digging and if something is true, it'll probably be pretty easy to find the information.