PDA

View Full Version : Question for the more technically knowledgeable

Gene Howe
06-21-2009, 10:15 AM
I have a number of non copywrited WW videos stored on my computer. I would like to record them to CDs so that I can take them to the shop. I don't want to take the computer to the shop. Rather ruin a cheapo CD player.

1. Do I need a special disk?
2. Can I do the transfer on my computer?
3. If not, what hardware do I need?

Thanks,
Gene

Brian Kent
06-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Good morning Gene.

You can do this on a computer. What kind do you have?

Some computers have a read-only drive, so a read / write drive would need to be added either internally in a desktop computer or as a fairly inexpensive add-on to a notebook.

With that said, most computers in the last few years have read / write drives. Tell us what you have and we can help. If nothing else, my son the mighty computer geek will be awake by noon.

Brian (the happy dad)

Gene Howe
06-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks for replying, Brian. The puter is an HP Compaq Presario C60 laptop. It has a CDRW drive. But, I thought I'd need something else for DVDs. No?

Brad Wood
06-21-2009, 11:05 AM
so you have a vew video's on your computer already and you want to burn them to a disk so you can watch them on a cheap dvd player in the shop?

you can pick up a dvd burner that connects to a usb port for fairly cheap I'm sure. The burner ought to come with software that willl let you create a dvd. Unless dvd players have advanced (and I haven't been paying attention) to where they can read other formats, like mpeg, .avi, etc, you need to burn the dvd in the special format the player is expecting. I assume the software that comes with the burner would do that. I always use Nero for my burning tasks, I find it is superior to anythng else I have used.

If dvd players will read other formats these days, it is pretty easy and you might not even need the dvd burner. I only bring this up because I know most cd players these days will read mp3's. I just haven't been paying attention lately, i've been keeping my eye in blu ray prices :D

James Jaragosky
06-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks for replying, Brian. The puter is an HP Compaq Presario C60 laptop. It has a CDRW drive. But, I thought I'd need something else for DVDs. No?
Yes; you will need a DVD drive capable of burning a disc. Also the appropriate software to complete the job.
I use Roxie Easy Media Creator 10 Suite, but there many fine products out there, some are even free.
Regards
Jim J.

Christopher Kanda
06-21-2009, 11:13 AM
you can use free software like DVD Shrink and then burn it. Here is a link to help understand to to use the software. I have used it before for the same thing.

http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php