PDA

View Full Version : Design Ideas?

Leo Voisine
06-20-2009, 7:02 PM
I hope I am posting this question it the right place. If I am not - please forgive me and redirect me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have been asked to take this plate and mount it into something so it can be a clock.

Really it is a clock face.

It has a hole in the middle for a clock works.

It has the numbers for the time.

It is just a tad over 1/4 thick.

It is 13-5/8 diameter.

Presently the back has green velvety felt adhered to it.

I cannot use any sort of adhesive at all - NO - NONE - NADA.

I do have an idea of two - but do not wish to influence - YOUR - creative juices.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sooooo ---- Ideas? Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Recommendations

Jim Koepke
06-20-2009, 7:20 PM
Would the shaft cover of the clock works be strong enough to mount it to a piece of metal that could be attached to what ever the clock is going to be mounted to?

Other than that, why does it have to be mounted to something? Many clock movements come with a ring on the back so they can be hung on a hook and hold a clock face up to a reasonable weight.

jim

Jamie Buxton
06-20-2009, 7:23 PM
Consider a cabinet door with a glass pane in it. The glass is captured around the edges by wood. Do the same with your plate. Make a round hole through your clock face wood which is a quarter-inch smaller in diameter than the plate. Rabbet the back side of the wood so you get a hole large enough for the plate to fit in. Add screw-on blocks which keep the plate in the hole.

Stephen Musial
06-21-2009, 6:37 PM
A couple of options:

1) Use a quartz movement with a hanger on the back - attach the movement, hang it, you're done.

2) Make your clock, make the surround and rout a rabbet to accept the plate. Use a few picture frame type holders to keep it in place (hardwood or metal - I'd use wood so it doesn't scratch.

There's probably even more but that's off the top of my head.