PDA

View Full Version : Turning a radius'd edge - calling all experts

Lou Anderson
06-20-2009, 5:13 PM
I'm turning a small cylindrical piece of wood on my Sherline CNC lathe (i need hundreds of them). The part i'm having a hard time figuring out is the best way to get a 2mm radius'd edge - see illustration below.

http://imgur.com/KgmYn.jpg

In the picture you can see the red lathe tool which i'm having a hard time making from HSS blanks (can't get that nice 2mm radius).

Does anyone have suggestions on how i may be able to do this better or differently?

Edit: I should clarify that wood 'bushing' is there so i can cut through it to get my 2mm radius without cutting into the mandrel.

Art Kelly
06-20-2009, 8:45 PM
Why not make it out of a piece of O-1 or 1095 wide enough to drill 4 mm holes, remove the sides and end each halfway through the holes.

Then harden and temper the tool. Burnish up a little burr on the leading edge of the radiused features and turn away.

I use O-1 for scraper tips and bits for Oland-type tool all the time. As long as you don't cook it on the grinder, it's about the same as M-2 as far as hardness. It has the advantage that if you do cook it, you can reharden it. Can't do that nearly as easy with M-2.

$0.02.

Art

Ryan Baker
06-20-2009, 10:23 PM
You should be able to find a 4mm cylindrical grinding stone. That should take care of it. Even a slightly smaller stone would do pretty well.