PDA

View Full Version : Creeker visit

harry strasil
06-20-2009, 5:10 PM
Don Peterson from Kansas City came up to visit my blacksmith shop and woodshop and pick up his 2 inchTthreading Tap I made him, he has an interest in smithing and Volunteers at a Living History Museum in Independence, I loaned him a forge, blower and anvil and stand so he could play at home. I was doing some forging and let Don play a bit with my little Depew Power Hammer (his first time operating a power hammer) and together we forged Don a 1/4 inch tang style mortise chisel out of oil well sucker rod, Don use my big pedastel grinder to do some rough work on it.

And while he was wandering around my wood shop he took a test drive with the New Veneer Frame Saw I made recently. His first experience with a framed saw. LOL

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/?action=view&current=DSCF0001.flv

Phillip Pattee
06-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Don looks like he is doing a great job there.

Don C Peterson
06-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Yes, it was my pleasure to spend about 4 hours with Jr. in both his blacksmith shop and woodshop. Here's the gloat. Jr. made the 2" tap and the holdfast which I reviewed in another thread. And while we were at the blacsmith shop Jr. handed me a piece of bar stock and asked me if I wanted to try my hand at making a chisel. Of course I jumped at the chance. I got to use a power hammer for the first time, and actually this was the first time I'd ever used a forge with an electric blower. Man, those new fangled electric blowers make things much faster and easier... Actually, it made things so much faster that I nearly ruined the whole chisel by getting it too hot. With Jr's expert help, I walked away with a new mortise chisel.

Here I'm holding the tap to give you an idea of the size of this monster.

Here's the chisel with its new White Oak handle.

Thanks Jr. As always it was entertaining and educational to hang out with you for a few hours. Hopefully, we'll be able to have another galoot gettogether this fall...

Mike Cutler
06-21-2009, 6:54 AM
Nice work guys. Looks like you both had a good time.:D

That frame saw is pretty impressive Harry.