PDA

View Full Version : Cabiner Scraper / Burnisher - Newby Questions

Eben Fourie
06-20-2009, 3:30 PM
Some newby questions re cabinet scrapers:

- When you use a burnisher to create a burr on the scraper, do you run the same piece of the burnisher along the length of the scraper, or do you start near the tip of the burnisher and slide it along its length over the edge of the scraper ?

- How much pressure do you apply with the burnisher onto the edge of the scraper ?

- What is a simple way of checking that you have created enough of a burr ? While still in the vice. Short of taking it out and scraping some wood :-)

- When using a rectangular scraper (longest edge on the wood), what is the correct way of bending it ? Is the bend/bow supposed to be along the long or the short edge ? I'm assuming the long edge, so do you want it so that the middle is bowed toward the surface and the two corners off the surface ?

Thanks, Eben

glenn bradley
06-20-2009, 4:20 PM
I can only answer for myself as this is a personal thing to some extent . . .

- When you use a burnisher to create a burr on the scraper, do you run the same piece of the burnisher along the length of the scraper, or do you start near the tip of the burnisher and slide it along its length over the edge of the scraper ?
** Same spot or not, doesn't matter to me. That is; I do not focus on staying in the same spot.

- How much pressure do you apply with the burnisher onto the edge of the scraper ?
** I run the burnisher with about the same pressure as if I am slicing off a chunk of apple. Two or three strokes.
- What is a simple way of checking that you have created enough of a burr ? While still in the vice. Short of taking it out and scraping some wood :-)

- When using a rectangular scraper (longest edge on the wood), what is the correct way of bending it ? Is the bend/bow supposed to be along the long or the short edge ? I'm assuming the long edge, so do you want it so that the middle is bowed toward the surface and the two corners off the surface ?
** I bend the long dimension. I bend away from me if using a push stroke and toward me if using a draw stroke. Corners off the surface.

Tim Put
06-20-2009, 6:31 PM
Thanks to Glenn for giving and actual useful answer about how much pressure to use.
I figured it out for myself only after much difficulty because of vague descriptions like "light but not too light" or "moderate pressure".

We now have Glenn's apple slicing, Schwarz' buttering toast, and Kirby's (I think?) concrete four ounces.

Except in regard to sawing, I almost never see it discussed, but I've come to realize most fine work is the result of close control of pressure. Whether paring, planing, honing, grinding, sawing, french polishing, scraping, carving or burnishing.

Dan Karachio
06-20-2009, 7:54 PM
Just a FYI, but I purchased two tools from Lee Valley and with them I can have my card scrapers making shavings in minutes. It is fool proof.

This holds a file and allows you to file the edge of the scraper to 90 degrees:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32631&cat=1,43072,43089&ap=1

This replaces the burnisher and you can dial in any angle for the burr.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32633&cat=1,310,41070&ap=1

I expect some purists will call me out on this and/or the cost ($50 for both), but it works so well I now use my scrapers all the time and my use of sand paper has taken a significant dip. Just last night I put a nice burr on both edges of 5 scrapers in probably around 15 minutes.