PDA

View Full Version : Best epoxy? bathroom use?

Jerry Olexa
06-20-2009, 3:21 PM
Just completed a bathroom remodel in our home-2nd floor.. The new cherry vanity has a granite top with 2 undermount sinks. After installation, we discovered one bowl has a brand nameplate (Kohler) and other does not. Our contractor just mailed us another nameplate to affix on the other sink.
My question is: what epoxy (or other) would be best for this? Nameplate is probably 1 1/4" X 3/4" thin metal. Must be strong and waterproof and not stain the sink? What do you reco?
Yes, I am building the cabinets myself as well as the tub surround etc but tile setting has never been a strength of mine.:) or plumbing.:D
Thanks

Todd Burch
06-20-2009, 3:43 PM
Gel superglue would probably work well.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2009, 3:48 PM
Jerry,

I have had good luck using a standard 5 minute epoxy I picked up at my local Ace Hardware.

However, check out this site for advice:

http://www.thistothat.com/

Jason White
06-20-2009, 4:41 PM
Why not just remove the other label? If Kohler isn't paying you to advertise, why give them the pleasure?

Jason

Just completed a bathroom remodel in our home-2nd floor.. The new cherry vanity has a granite top with 2 undermount sinks. After installation, we discovered one bowl has a brand nameplate (Kohler) and other does not. Our contractor just mailed us another nameplate to affix on the other sink.
My question is: what epoxy (or other) would be best for this? Nameplate is probably 1 1/4" X 3/4" thin metal. Must be strong and waterproof and not stain the sink? What do you reco?
Yes, I am building the cabinets myself as well as the tub surround etc but tile setting has never been a strength of mine.:) or plumbing.:D
Thanks

Todd Burch
06-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Now Jason is thinking! If Kohler wants it on there, they can send you some glue.

Jerry Olexa
06-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Agree. I even buy sportshirt without logos to prevent giving free advertising. In this case, the one has the logo etched into the sink so it looks a little odd per LOML. So this an easy fix. I'll probably try the Super glue (but not on Father's Day):) Thanks to all for your help

Josiah Bartlett
06-22-2009, 6:57 PM
I would use automotive emblem adhesive:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Car/Care/Products/Maintenance/Plastic-Emblem_Adhesive/

Or just plain silicone. Superglue can stain things due to the cyanoacrylate vapor released when it dries. It also does not bond to metal very well.

Jerry Olexa
06-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Josiah, thanks for the tip. Have to rethink. Maybe silicone will be simplest. Have to avoid staining. The plate is light metal very small and very lightweight..Thanks

Phil Thien
06-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Were they expensive sinks, or the less expensive stuff they stock at HD/Lowes, etc? If they were the pricier sinks, I'd be inclined to make a stink with Kohler.

Jerry Olexa
06-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Phil, the contractor doing the remodel ordered and installed the vanity, granite top, sinks, etc. He called kohler and they were fully aware of the problem?! Same UPC,etc. Some have plate some don't...Sure doesn't excuse it but surprising for a so-called high quality supplier!