PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Sawmill Discovery

George Bledsoe
08-24-2004, 2:40 PM
I have my own sawmill that I use to support my hobby. I recently cut up several large Oak logs both White and Red. I always qtr saw oak and when I was all done I started cleaning up my mess. I was tossing some small cutoffs that I don't normally save when I noticed something strange. The cutoff chunk looked kinda wavy like the band on the mill was causing wavy cuts. Well I decided to clean that chunk up and a few more I had already tossed and dry them in my solar kiln. This is what I built with the wood. I apparently have a log or two in the load that is curly red oak :D

Carl Eyman
08-24-2004, 2:49 PM
What a pleasant surprise! Nice work , too,

Dave Brandt
08-24-2004, 2:50 PM
A stealth gloat to be sure. That is some beautiful oak, and the chest ain't too shabby either. Nice job!

By the way, I know I've never thrown out any "cut-offs" that were long enough to make some fine furnture!

Wes Bischel
08-24-2004, 3:18 PM
Those are your cutoffs!! Wow, that's beautiful - wood and chest. Good catch for sure.

Wes

Doug Jones
08-24-2004, 3:21 PM
Those are your cutoffs!! Wow, that's beautiful - wood and chest. Good catch for sure.

Wes

Exactly what I was thinking. Wonder what the keeper stuff looks like? Great looking chest.

Tyler Howell
08-24-2004, 3:25 PM
Nice Find! Nice Pix! More Please!;)

Chris Padilla
08-24-2004, 4:16 PM
George,

That is some beautiful wood and quite the find. Oh, the project ain't half-bad neither! ;)

:D

Herb Blair
08-24-2004, 7:02 PM
Beautiful!

Kelly C. Hanna
08-24-2004, 7:13 PM
Very nice figuring in the wood!!! You have a sawmill huh? Sure wish you were closer, I'd pay a vists every now and then. Not too many of those around here worth visiting.

Jeremy Bracey
08-24-2004, 8:49 PM
WOW!:p That is simply beautiful.

I love Red Oak. That has to be some of the best I have ever seen.

Congrats.

Ron Jones near Indy
08-24-2004, 8:54 PM
Verrrrrrrrry nice!!! :)

Jim Ketron
08-24-2004, 10:35 PM
Great job!!

Love that wood.
Jim

Jim Becker
08-25-2004, 2:25 AM
Stunning wood...great project!

Thomas Prondzinski
08-25-2004, 7:15 AM
George

Love that wood,very nice looking,any more pics?

Tom

David Tang
08-25-2004, 9:18 AM
Very nice - where can I get the plan for that piece?

Jon Olson
08-25-2004, 9:28 AM
Man oh man!!! Cutoffs with that grain pattern and enough to make a beautiful piece!!

Its just not fair!!

Love the red oak.

George Bledsoe
08-25-2004, 9:45 AM
I am not gloating I just know that I enjoy seeing what other folks are making so I thought I would share. I bought the mill so I could cut logs for my own use and maybe sell a little (which hasn't really panned out that well) That is ok with me since it is good exercise and I enjoy it. Now finding storage space for the wood is becoming a problem but that is another story altogether :eek:

I am on a hope chest kick as of late. I have enough curly scrap cutoffs to make another hope chest. I cut about 4000 bdft of oak this spring/summer so I am not really sure where in the barn the curly stuff is. I know when I was sawing it there was a lot of it that I thought was just caused by a bent couple of teeth on the band. I was wrong :D
I normally only save 8' boards because the short stuff is a pain to stack, I sometimes will save something shorter that grabs my eye like this walnut ;)
I threw in a couple more chest photos's I am building two more Walnut ones with butternut panels but they are not finished yet.
I am going to make a Sugar chest (looks a lot like a tall hope chest to me) and I may use some of the curly oak (or maybe qtr sawn sycamore which I love) to do that.

Chris Padilla
08-25-2004, 10:33 AM
What a find you pulled from Mother Nature's grasp! Just beautiful wood and you definately have a hand and putting the pieces together, George!

George Bledsoe
08-25-2004, 11:55 AM
It is sort of the NYW plan modified to have a drawer in the bottom. I really didn't have plan I just sort of winged it after looking at Norm's website and deciding I wanted (well she) wanted a drawer :p
Dovetailed the drawers made from ash and used full extension drawer slides and of course cedar lining.

Alan Turner
08-25-2004, 11:58 AM
NIce work, George. And, an excellent selection on the hardware.
Alan

Ken Fitzgerald
08-26-2004, 10:15 AM
George....great craftsmanship and gorgeous wood!