PDA

View Full Version : Jointer and planer need tuned badly. . . and I can't find the adjustor screws!

Matt Evans
06-20-2009, 9:49 AM
Jointer= a Rockwell Delta 37-220 6" jointer

Problem: The darn thing doesn't joint right! Goes up and down on dovetailed ways, and while there is height adjustment, there doesn't seem to be any way to true it up. The only adjusters I have been able to locate are the depth of cut wheels. No side to side adjusters, and no leveling adjustment for each individual table. In short, the jointer tables are out of plane, on two axis, and produse an edge that is more twisted and V-shaped than what you start with.

I am hoping it can be fixed, as that it is my fathers jointer, he is thinking of upgrading, and I would mind having a 6" jointer around my shop. . .

Planer= Shop Fox W1692

Problem: The height adjustment wheel does not stay put when planing boards, resulting in a varying thickness board from end to end.

I thought this one would be a simple fix, and it might be, but I can't seem to find a way to tighten it up.

Both of these problems are really frustrating, not only because the Jointer is out of commision and the planer is that much more difficult to use when you are clamping the wheel at each depth interval, but also due to the fact that I can't figure it out.

I have tuned up a few older machines and a couple of newer ones, and never had the problems I am having with these two. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chip Lindley
06-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Jointer= a Rockwell Delta 37-220 6" jointer.
It is a parallelogram design, going up and down on dovetailed ways....

Matt, your jointer is no parallelogram design. It indeed raises and lowers on inclined dovetailed ways. I had the identical jointer which needed adjustments.

The only way to correct tables out of alignment, either end-to-end, or side-to-side, is to shim the ways of the outfeed table with thin metal stock. The outfeed is rarely moved, and will keep its alignment as you shim it. The process is totally trial-and-error. Disassembly and cleaning may cause the dovetails to seat properly. At least the lever arm parts that move the tables will work more smoothly.

As for your Shop Fox planer, there should be two locking knobs in line with the columns close to the feed table. These lock the table to the columns. Perhaps yours are missing? http://edge.woodstockint.com/manuals/w1692_m.pdf

Matt Evans
06-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Matt, your jointer is no parallelogram design. It indeed raises and lowers on inclined dovetailed ways. I had the identical jointer which needed adjustments.

The only way to correct tables out of alignment, either end-to-end, or side-to-side, is to shim the ways of the outfeed table with thin metal stock. The outfeed is rarely moved, and will keep its alignment as you shim it. The process is totally trial-and-error. Disassembly and cleaning may cause the dovetails to seat properly. At least the lever arm parts that move the tables will work more smoothly.

As for your Shop Fox planer, there should be two locking knobs in line with the columns close to the feed table. These lock the table to the columns. Perhaps yours are missing? http://edge.woodstockint.com/manuals/w1692_m.pdf

Chip,

You are correct, I misspoke. But, that explains the jointer problem. Maybe I will get the time to do a teardown, clean, oil, grease and wax the jointer next week. If I do have to shim it I will need a bit of help/advice on that. I have shimmed tables on saws before, but never dovetailed ways.

The planer. . .those lock knobs are there, and I thought they looked like the correct knobs to be locking, but no joy. So, it looks as though I am going to have to rip the planer apart and see why they dont lock the table height like they are supposed to.

I appreciate the comment, and the link to the planer manual.