PDA

View Full Version : Ikon metal engraving

Bill W. White
06-20-2009, 12:14 AM
I've got a 2 part question first I'm going to engrave some small plaques out of the Ikon metal for a church(1.5 inch x 3 inch) (70) for there memorial garden. Plaques will be screwed on several corian sheet( actually a generic brand called "Hanex") and then attached to the wall of church. It will get morning sun for a few hours( Northern Florida) . I understand I must clear coat with uv inhibitor on the ikon metal would it hurt to also clear coat the corian. I was planning on using the House of kolors clear 2 part urethane(automotive ) but then I read abour the frog juice and wondered would this be better...Seconly I was going to cut out plaques on table saw and build a jig to do the names and save some laser time. with my 35W it takes 2 passes to cut out the metal
I really don't want to have to redo this is in a few years. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is my first laser job so I'm under big pressure to get it right, Last, the church has purchased the metal so I'm charging $20 a plaque , does this sound OK

Thanks
Bill W.

Steven DeMars
06-21-2009, 11:39 AM
I say this in a sense of humor . . . :)

DO NOT DO WORK FOR CHURCHES ! ! ! !

You have one customer at the time of the order & a 1000+ critics after delivery is made . . . .

. . . and someone in the congregation always has a relative or friend who "would" have done it for less . . . .

Steve

Eric Mims
06-21-2009, 1:46 PM
haha, reminds me of when I do photo realistic architectural renderings for a prospective church project, and the church committee only comments on something like what color the carpet is in the rendering. :D:rolleyes:

Kenneth Hertzog
06-21-2009, 5:15 PM
Bill

First question is about the ikonmetal
you are correct if it is outside I would poly it for UV protection.

and your second question I can't answer
I've never tried to poly Corian or any othe solid surface.

I would probably cut it on a bandsaw instead of a table saw
just for a better cut and thinner blade.

let us know how it works for you
maybe try a test piece before the finished product.

ken

Bill W. White
06-21-2009, 10:40 PM
I meant to have this in the engravers section as I will be using a laser for the ikon metal engraving so thanks for reply and advise. It's taken the church 6 months to get this far but it looks like we can start soon. I will do some test pieces and post the results. Thanks Bill W.

Scott Shepherd
06-22-2009, 7:44 AM
Bill, I don't have any experience with Frog Juice, but I read a post by a very well versed sign guy about a week ago that said Frog Juice was not as UV friendly as people believe it to be. He cited experiences with it that were not good for long term use and recommend it not be used as a long term, UV protector.