PDA

View Full Version : Stereotypes

Mike Henderson
06-20-2009, 12:06 AM
This story was actually created back in the '70's to test stereotypes. See how you do.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

A man and his son were in a terrible automobile accident. The man was killed and the son was raced to the hospital for surgery. But when the surgeon came into the operating room and saw the boy, the surgeon exclaimed, "I can't operate on him. He's my son."

How is that possible?

Mike

Paul Gallian
06-20-2009, 1:06 AM
do you want an answer? simple answer when you know...

Mike Henderson
06-20-2009, 1:27 AM
do you want an answer? simple answer when you know...
Let a few more people read it, plus a couple of postings like this and the answer will be off the screen when people read the first posting. That way they'll have to think about it before seeing the answer.

You're right, it's a simple answer.

Mike

glenn bradley
06-20-2009, 2:08 AM
I know but, I'll wait . . .tick . . . tick . . . tick

phil harold
06-20-2009, 2:19 AM
well if the dad died in the accident

who else could claim him as "son"?

Glenn Clabo
06-20-2009, 7:28 AM
My wife...the nurse...would have the same question in somewhat reverse form.

A woman and her son were in a terrible automobile accident. The woman was killed and the son was raced to the hospital. But when the nurse came into the emergency room and saw the boy, the nurse exclaimed, "I can't treat him. He's my son."

How is that possible?

Stephen Musial
06-20-2009, 7:43 AM
This story was actually created back in the '70's to test stereotypes. See how you do.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

A man and his son were in a terrible automobile accident. The man was killed and the son was raced to the hospital for surgery. But when the surgeon came into the operating room and saw the boy, the surgeon exclaimed, "I can't operate on him. He's my son."

How is that possible?

Mike

Greg Evigan was driving and Paul Reiser was the doctor. (We'll see how the semi-obscure plays on Sawmill Creek)

Stephen Musial
06-20-2009, 7:45 AM
Not so easy in this day and age...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gs0TbcY2L._SL500_.jpg

Dan Mages
06-20-2009, 8:52 AM
Step father, adopted father, or two fathers.

Chris Damm
06-20-2009, 9:02 AM
The surgeon is his mother.

Mike Henderson
06-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Absolutely correct. Approximately 50% of the medical school graduates today are women, but stereotypes remain, both for doctors and for nurses, as Glenn pointed out.

Thanks to those who knew the answer but waited to disclose it.

Mike

Scott T Smith
06-21-2009, 12:31 AM

I'm surprised that it took so many posts to get the right answer. But then again, my wife is a surgeon (albeit a veterinary one).

Ken Fitzgerald
06-21-2009, 12:37 AM
I work with doctors everyday. I have a sister who is a nurse-practioner. Guess who I consult when a family member or I have a medical problem and I want a brutally honest opinion?

Mike Henderson
06-21-2009, 12:57 AM
I'm surprised that it took so many posts to get the right answer. But then again, my wife is a surgeon (albeit a veterinary one).
To be fair, Scott, I think a number of the early poster knew the answer but did not want to give it away.

Back in the 70's I imagine most people would think of a surgeon as a man and would have trouble figuring out the puzzle. What's surprising is that today, close to 40 years later when about half the doctors (at least graduates) are women, many people still think of a surgeon only as a man. I posted just to allow the reader to see if they stereotyped doctors as men.

Mike

Greg Peterson
06-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Mike, we have come a long way in 40 years. I remember this riddle stumped me back in high school (late 70's).

It wasn't all that long ago that women did not even have a right to vote, yet no one, at least no one I've ever come across, would even question this right today.

Here's a macro stereotype; mankind will always find a demographic of society that is easily disenfranchised. An omega if you will. Women in America are slowly ascending to equal ground, but there will always be plenty of other groups capable of filling our insatiable to need to control.

John Schreiber
06-21-2009, 6:48 PM
I work with doctors everyday. I have a sister who is a nurse-practioner. Guess who I consult when a family member or I have a medical problem and I want a brutally honest opinion?
I'm with you. I prefer going to my doctor's NP. If she doesn't know what's going on, she says so, tells me the possibilities and we work it out. If nothing makes sense, she goes to consult with a doctor.

If my doctor doesn't know, he makes a guess and tells me with great confidence. Then he won't consider any other alternatives.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-21-2009, 8:18 PM
The Surgeon was the boy's mommy.