PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw Chip Blower - useful or gimmick

Brad Ridgway
06-19-2009, 11:15 PM
I just noticed the little air hose on the powermatic 14". I'm wondering how useful this is ? Since the blade is traveling down, i wouldn't think dust would accumulate must on the top of the piece. I honestly can't remember in the things i've cut with mine if i've had to blow it off or not?

thx
-brad

glenn bradley
06-19-2009, 11:28 PM
I have not had to since I routed a collection point directly beneath the table insert.

John Thompson
06-20-2009, 5:30 PM
I would stick with your thinking that since the blade is moving down the air tube is sort of well... really not necessary as very little saw-dust ends up on top of the stock hiding the cut line. Now.. with that said... if you purchase or use a scroll saw you have a totally different answer as it is not only helpful but pretty much essential.

Sarge..

Peter Quinn
06-20-2009, 9:30 PM
I have the same saw and disconnected that tube after the first use. It creates a dust storm that does keep the cut line clean, but does so by blowing the dust in your face and all over the room. So the cut line may be clean, but you wont be able to see it or much else through the cloud it creates. It is not a gimmic IMO, it is a nuisance. Do try it though as opinions may vary.

Myk Rian
06-20-2009, 9:56 PM
I agree with Peter. Band saws make enough mess as it is.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-20-2009, 10:25 PM
It is a very nice thing when you are trying to follow a line closely.

Nathan Hawkes
06-21-2009, 1:52 AM
I would add that it would be nice if you're sawing turning blanks. Green wood dust doesn't always go into the dust collector. I have a Ridgid (:rolleyes:)14" that I modified with the FWW "dedicated resaw" plans stand, with riser block & 2HP baldor upgrade that has a joke of an air intake for dust collection. Even keeping a 4" dc hose clamped right under the table leaves dust all over the place. I have to keep a little dust whisk broom in my hand and constantly brush off the blanks when I'm following a scribed line. Like a lot of turners, I tend to cut a bunch of blanks at once, then wax seal them all at once. For me, it would be a big help. A bigger throat would help more, but space wont allow right now.... Mess isn't really an issue for me, as when I'm turning one of the most often used tools is the broom...