PDA

View Full Version : First friction fit lidded box

Chris Rae
06-19-2009, 10:08 PM
I am requesting comments and critiques on this please. I have been turning a little over 9 months and this is my second box, but the first one I've done with a friction fit lid and I hollowed the inside of it instead of drilling it. I'd like comments on the shape, the finial etc. I didn't do a very good job on the inside bottom but I couldn't get a good picture of it. I had trouble getting ride of all the tearout in the bottom, I'd appreciate any hints on this. The walls are a pretty even 1/8". The lid has a satisfying little pop when removed :D Thanks much...

David Christopher
06-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Chris, I think the lidded box is beautiful ( what kind of wood is it ) .....but I think the finial is just a little blunt...but alot better that what I do

Chris Rae
06-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks Dave. I should have said, the wood is walnut and it is waxed but I still need to buff it.

Dennis Ford
06-19-2009, 10:32 PM
The box is beautiful, I really like the shape. This would be a great shape whether 2nd or 200th. The lid and finial are not quite as good in my opinion. The lid appears to have a small lump in its shape and the finial is a little heavy. Getting a good shape on something this small is more difficult than on a larger project.

Tear-out inside can be difficult, sometimes almost impossible to avoid. To reduce tear-out, try a tool with a larger bevel angle. Also sandpaper is your friend.

Bernie Weishapl
06-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Chris great looking box. Finial could be a little more delicate but otherwise looks pretty good.

Jim Underwood
06-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Well Chris you might be worried about your tearout, but your first box looks a heck of a lot better than my first box.

Yeah, the finial needs a bit of tweaking, but dang! I like that bead around the lip. And the body has a fine form. Good job.

If this is to have a wax finish, then rubbing some wax in the bottom before the final cuts will help remove the tearout. With a freshly sharpened scraper make a light shearing (cutting edge at 45) cut from center to edge. It should remove very fine shavings if done correctly.

I've seen it done, but never have been able to duplicate a good shear scrape with a scraper. Try it, you may be successful. Personally, I've gotten better results with a spindle gouge on end grain. What can I say?

ROY DICK
06-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Chris,

I hope my wife doesn't see it. Your gonna get me in trouble.
Great job.

Roy

Steve Schlumpf
06-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Chris - nice design! I like the form and the raised lip at the opening. Finials can be a challenge until you do enough of them. Once you figure out what you like - stick with it!

You have had a little time to evaluate this piece - would you change anything? If so - what & why?

Jim Kountz
06-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Chris, looks way better than my box attempts!! I love the form on the box and I guess by now maybe you're getting tired of hearing it but yeah the finial looks a little heavy. No problem though, you will get better at them with time. For a first attempt this is awesome!!

Chris Rae
06-20-2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks so much for the comments everyone. I appreciate your critiques. I agree that the finial is too heavy and the top of the lid should be a little flatter. It's good to see something through someone elses eyes sometimes. I did think maybe the finial was a little too heavy but I didn't notice that the lid could be a little flatter to better follow the curve of the top. After it's been mentioned I see it. If anyone sees something else I'd love to have your input. I really want to learn and grow in my turning. Thanks again.

Wally Dickerman
06-20-2009, 12:52 AM
I like the box very much. Good form and good detail around the rim. One of the new Hunter tools would easily take care of the tearout on the inside.

Finials are very difficult to get right. I've played around with them quite a bit recently. Right now I'm working on a small madrone and holly lidded HF. The finial is holly. In my experimenting with finials I've done six of them for this piece and three of the six will work. The other three are too tall or not delicate enough. They are all acceptable and will be used on something else. I'll post a pic with a couple of them later. Finials are fun to turn and are good practice for small scale spindle turning.

Your finial doesn't fit with the nicely done lid. It looks like it was just tacked on and it should have curved surfaces, especially where it joins the lid. Study some of Cindy Drozda's finials. Keep trying, you'll have fun.

Wally

Rick Flink
06-20-2009, 2:29 AM
Chris,

I'm not experienced enough to comment on the lid and the finial, but my reaction to the whole piece when I saw the pictures was WOW! I like it, and I'm going to try and duplicate it with my next box project. My wife loves the shape, but she's not a dark wood fan, so I'm sure my attempt will be a lot lighter wood!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Rick

jack richington
06-20-2009, 6:15 AM
only your 2nd box..golly that's a fine box..you'll get the refining in quick order..just keep trying..it's apparant you have the "native" skill