PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Knot Question

Richard Madison
06-19-2009, 8:57 PM
When making a four-part knot in a square blank, one can make the four cuts in any order with approximately the same result.

My question is, does anybody care about the order in which the cuts are made, and if so, why?

Curt Fuller
06-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Richard this might sound like a dumb answer, but when I glue up celtic knots I have to number the four sides and then I cut them consecutively. Reason being, I've actually gotten confused and cut out the slice that I previously glued in. Other than that I can't think of a reason to cut them in any particular order.

Greg Ketell
06-19-2009, 11:21 PM
When making a four-part knot in a square blank, one can make the four cuts in any order with approximately the same result.

My question is, does anybody care about the order in which the cuts are made, and if so, why?

There is a slight difference when you do it the two different ways. But it is subtle and hard to describe. Your best bet is to make a practice block and try it both ways. If you rotate it 180-90-180 you get a more symmetrical look than if you do it 90-90-90. I personally like the 180-90-180 better.

GK

Richard Madison
06-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks Curt. That is the answer I needed. Maybe was a dumb question on my part. Really only three possibilities, flip 180 for second cut, or flip 90 and then either another 90 or 180 for the third cut. Just have to remember to do all 16 knots (I think) the same way so the pattern will be consistent. Found that a short piece of architectural aluminum angle (with sharp 90 degree interior angle) makes a dandy clamp fixture (lined with a bit of wax paper or freezer paper).

Richard Madison
06-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Thanks Greg. No time for practice. Second cuts in the morning. I will go with your 180-90-180 suggestion. Having made only one knot (a few weeks ago), which I deliberately misaligned to illustrate a point, I defer to your greater experience. Expect to be an "expert" by this time tomorrow night.

John Terefenko
06-20-2009, 10:26 AM

You really have to look at the knot and probably have the 2 methods side by side to tell the difference. I have done these with the 180-90-180 method. I think it looks more symetrical.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/penXblanks-1.jpg

Richard Madison
06-20-2009, 4:21 PM
Thanks John.

Brian George
06-20-2009, 9:03 PM
I made mine out of particle board shelving with melamine surface finish and it works great. Don't need the waxed paper. I made the jig long enough so I can glue up two 3x3x12 blanks at once. Never thought to try recutting and gluing in 2 hours, however, so am going to give that a try when back in Wisconsin.

Richard Madison
06-20-2009, 11:51 PM
With TB II two hours between cuts seems to be plenty. Might want to wait longer after the last cut before turning it. If you are making a hammer handle I would wait overnight before using the hammer.