PDA

View Full Version : Green Bradford Pear

Mike Peace
06-19-2009, 7:38 PM
This came from a Bradford Pear that was down for about a week when I got and anchorsealed it. It has been in my air conditioned shop about two weeks. I was surprised to see it started sprouting. I guess it wants to be a big bowl when it grows up! :D

Steve Schlumpf
06-19-2009, 8:24 PM
That's really cool Mike! Nature can be really amazing!

Bernie Weishapl
06-19-2009, 8:52 PM
Great pic's Mike. Looks like it wants to grow you some more bowls.

alex carey
06-20-2009, 2:40 AM
is that mold on the top?

Mark Norman
06-20-2009, 3:57 AM
That's really cool Mike! Nature can be really amazing!

That is amazing isn't it....I would be looking for roots on the bottom of it...

If ya find some, stick it in a hole in the ground and keep it moist:)

Jeff Nicol
06-20-2009, 5:56 AM
Mike, I have some cotton wood that is trying to do the same thing, but it is outside getting all of mother natures goodness! Looks like a very nice piece of bradford pear. One question, where does it grow mostly? Is it a planted ornamental tree or just wild? I know we don't have any here naturally in WI. Have fun with it and watch those little sprouts, there may be a monster lurking under the bark!

Jeff

Mike Peace
06-20-2009, 5:44 PM
Alex, yes that is mold. I am curious as to how it will affect the color of the wood since Bradford Pear does not really spalt, that I am aware of.

Jeff, Bradford Pear is a popular ornamental around hear because it grows fast. The bad news is after 10-12 years or so, they almost always lose a big limb in a storm which generally requires taking down the tree. It is relatively easy to get. Trunk can get up to 10"-16" or so.

Jim Becker
06-20-2009, 5:52 PM
It wants to be a sculpture "as is"....LOL

steven carter
06-23-2009, 9:13 AM
Mike,

It looks just like a couple pieces of willow that I recently cut from a tree in a neighbor's yard. His kids and mine used to have a playhouse in the tree so I'm going to try a couple willow bowls. Haven't tried to turn willow before, so I'm not sure what to expect except for comments I've read here about willow being stringy.

Steve

Chris Stolicky
06-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Mike,

It looks just like a couple pieces of willow that I recently cut from a tree in a neighbor's yard. His kids and mine used to have a playhouse in the tree so I'm going to try a couple willow bowls. Haven't tried to turn willow before, so I'm not sure what to expect except for comments I've read here about willow being stringy.

Steve

I, too, had the same experience with some willow laying on the ground. I also took a piece and slapped in on the lathe. It was very wet, stringy, and really stunk! That is certainly something I won't attempt again....

Cody Colston
06-23-2009, 10:14 AM
I had a chunk of River Birch that I cut back in early spring that had a fresh limb about 1 ft. long growing out of it. I went to take a picture to post here and when I leaned a rake against the chunk for proportion, it fell over and broke off the new limb. Oh well.

Willow is really notorious for growing new shoots from cut-off chunks of the trunk. Even a small limb, if placed in a vase of water, will sprout new shoots.

The champ, though, was Aaron's staff which sprouted, bloomed and grew almonds. ;)