PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Gloat

Russell Svenningsen
08-24-2004, 1:15 PM
Well, we're here.......Marshall, Minnesota. I have started teaching at the University in town, and we bought a house this weekend.

3 Bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, dining room, family room, study, yeah whatever.....that's for the LOML. Now, the good stuff..............

A HUGE 2-car garage, 30X40. The best part is the back of the garage is walled off into a 15X30 section, insulated, with it's own 50amp subpanel. Outlets galore.......I'm in workshop heaven. It needs new lights and a fresh coat of paint, but it beats what I've been working with in Cincinnati(1 car garage, 15 amp breaker from the house...yikes).

Pics will follow on closing....I promise.

Would appreciate any advice from any area "creekers" on where they buy there lumber, etc.

Thanks for letting me gloat...........feels good.

Best,
Russell

Jim Becker
08-24-2004, 2:26 PM
Congratulations, Russell! Sounds like you're set to go...good job, nice house...and the shop to keep you sane! (works for me, although some would argue otherwise...)

Chris Padilla
08-24-2004, 2:28 PM
Pics, pics, pics!!! Did I say PICS!!!!! :D :D

Russell Svenningsen
08-24-2004, 2:48 PM
So Chris....am I hearing you correctly? Would you like to see some pics? ;)

They will be forthcoming as soon as we close(end of September). Yes, that's a long time to wait for my new shop, but the owners balked when we asked to close today! :D

As for my tools, moving out here was a monumental task. 26' Uhaul truck with our Chevy Impala on a trailer behind, with my wife in my pickup, with our 2 kids, towing a 6X12 Uhaul trailer. And what was in that trailer, you ask?????!!!!

200 bd. ft. of hard maple
300 bd. ft. of red oak
250 bd. ft. of ash
100 bd ft. of cherry
Router table
Huge collection of hardware. Couldn't part with it.

Bless her heart, my wife didn't even bat an eye when I said I'd have to rent the trailer "quick-like" to take all of my stuff(that truck filled up FAST), and oh yeah, you'll have to tow it.....with 2 kids in the truck. I love that woman.

We had a moving sale the weekend previous, my wife told me "Sell any tool you want to upgrade." Talk about an open door! :p So, I now have to shop for a new SCMS(probably the Dewalt 12"), the Milwaukee 3 HP router(drool), new biscuit joiner(maybe), and anything else I can convince her I just couldn't do without.

Lemme see........where's that MM catalog?

Russell

Chris Padilla
08-24-2004, 3:07 PM
Okay, Russ, now change your location in your profile! haha...I can't be satisfied! :D

Tyler Howell
08-24-2004, 3:32 PM
The Creek is rising with more WW here in MN. Good to have you back Russ and congrats on that shop. I feel a little road trip coming on!!!!!:D ;)

Russell Svenningsen
08-24-2004, 3:41 PM
Tyler-Absolutely! If you are ever out this way....I'm buying.

After we bought the house I told my wife I needed to really consider upgrading more of my "toyls". She asked what I meant, and I told her about this "crazy Minnesotan" from the Creek, she got a kick out of it.

Best,
Russell

Frank Pellow
08-24-2004, 3:58 PM
Congratualations on finding an ideal shop (with an attached house).

Kelly C. Hanna
08-24-2004, 7:11 PM
Wow, excellent score on the new workshop!! Congrats on the new house, the new job and the new life!!!

Mark Singer
08-24-2004, 7:54 PM
That sounds really wonderful! Enjoy it!