PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 66 with 50" Accu-fence?

Travis Gunn
06-19-2009, 5:53 PM
I have found a used Powermatic 66 w/ 50" Accu-fence. Don't know the age. Seems to be in good condition 220v. single phase, 3hp.
Does $1300 sound like a fair deal? I know this is not much to go on but I won't have time to do much research before the deal passes by.
Thanks,
Travis

CPeter James
06-19-2009, 8:08 PM
Reasonable, not great, depending on condition and age. What color is it? The first two digits of the serial number give the year made.

CPeter

Travis Gunn
06-19-2009, 9:15 PM
It is yellow. I have only seen a picture so far so I haven't seen the serial #. Thanks for that info though. That will help me in the morning when I go to look at it. Of course the seller says it is in Excellent condition.
What particular things should I look for as warning signs? I will have to drive about 2hours to see it. I have been watching locally for over & year & this is the first Powermatic single phase I have found.
Thanks,
Travis

Kevin Barnett
06-19-2009, 9:33 PM
Good question...Is it worth 1300? Maybe. Your questions really is, "Would someone other than you pay that much?" or even, "What's a good blue book value?" I'm sure someone values it that way. May take you a while to sell it for that much, but it'll happen eventually. Maybe tomorrow or maybe next year. It really depends.

Not me. My price would be about $500 less - even if it were in mint condition. I personally don't think there much magic to "the gold" and I've had the jointer, tablesaw, and bandsaw they made. I still have the bandsaw. The new products with riving knives are a better value to me. $1300 will get you a really good Grizz tablesaw or even 2 Unisaw older models if you can wait. Plus, if you go new, you have a warranty and someone else can bring it to you. There is a hassle factor involved to some point.

Brad Ridgway
06-19-2009, 11:02 PM
As a point of reference, i paid under 1200 for mine last year and also drove > 2 hours to pick it up (no regrets). Its a 1999 5HP Single Phase... the gentleman threw in a collection of blades, including a near new freud dado set, the PM tenon jig, and a bunch of cabinet hardware.

If its just the saw, i think you should be able to come down lower unless it's prestine (esp the top). Speaking from (er, recent) experience, make sure you check for blade wobble with the naked eye. If you can spin it by hand and notice, you'll want to fix ($85+ shipping for the arbor assembly). Might want to check the top and fence for flatness. Niether of mine are perfect (if not possibly another $100 + shipping to grind + plus maybe new fence sides depending on how bad and how much of that gold perfection you want).

CPeter James
06-20-2009, 5:51 AM
For the record, I have a PM66 and like it, but I would take a hard look at the new Grizzly with a riving knife for the same money. The PM66 is a good saw, but I have to agree, it is not that special and new is nice, warranty and all. Two hours is not that far. Check it out and then make you decision, a used saw or a brand new one.

CPeter

Chip Lindley
06-20-2009, 8:40 AM
Historically, PM's hold their value better than any Grizzly will! I bought a '98 PM66 3hp at auction, two years ago for $1375....B U T, (Gloat!) it included:

Exaktor sliding table,
Overarm blade guard/dust extractor,
50" AccuFence, HTC mobile stand,
TS Aligner,
PM tenon jig,
Biesemeyer splitter,
and a drawer full of other misc. goodies!

I DO believe I got my $$$'s worth!

$1300 for the bare saw is a bit steep, BUT that PM66 sold for around $2000 in '99! These saws were still Quality Iron then, before PM cheapened their standards to Chinese. The choice will be yours!

John Thompson
06-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Depending on the condition.. year.. etc. in my area which is Atlanta.. the PM 66 goes for $750 to $1000 used. I do believe he has it priced above what he really feels he can get and may take less if offered. For that particular saw in excellent condition.. I would pay no more than $900 as I see the market flooded locally at the moment with fore-closures looming over many's head.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Cary Falk
06-20-2009, 1:19 PM
Sounds a little high for me also. I regularly see them in good condition around here between $1000 and $1200. In my area, since the economy has gotten worse, people want more for their tools. Go figure. At $1300 I personally would be looking at a Grizzly with a riving knife also.