PDA

View Full Version : New Family Member

Mike Cutler
06-19-2009, 4:59 PM
A few weeks back I posted that I had to put down my Vizsla of 14 years. ( Thank you for all the kind responses, they helped)

He has been replaced with a beautiful 2 year old female Vizsla named Tika.
She spent most of her prior life having to be kenneled, as the breeder/owner became very ill, ergo she came to us with very little in the way of any training. Not a rescue situation at all though. She was very well cared for.
It's kind of funny having a 2 year old that acts like a puppy.:D I've been working her on the leash, establishing ground manners,and accidentally started her on quail, a month before I planned too, when some of the quail I bought escaped. What a riot that was. None were hurt though, she has a very soft mouth, and there are 100 more of them on the way. It's going to be a fun summer/fall. Probably not much wood working is going to happen, but it's going to be a blast.

Here she is.

Chris Padilla
06-19-2009, 5:25 PM
I have some friends of friends with a vizla breed. One reason this couple has this particular breed of dog is due to an allergy the guy has to dander. Apparently vizla breeds either have none or very little.

Jim O'Dell
06-19-2009, 5:56 PM
Mike, I'd still call that a rescue situation. Rescue doesn't mean there has to be any degree of cruelty or neglect involved, just that the situation the dog was in was less than ideal for the dog.
We've got a 5 year old (est on age) Irish foster at the house right now that is blind. She's a hoot when she gets excited. Such a good natured dog!
Vizsla are sure good hunters. Very intense, yet good family dogs. Jim.

Mike Cutler
06-19-2009, 8:54 PM
Chris

Vizsla's don't go through a shed cycle per se. They have a very short coat and the individual hair is probably less than the length of the hair on your arm. So while they do shed hair, and lose dead skin, it isn't anything like a longer haired dog will. Probably less than a human on a daily basis. We've had them in the house for 23+ years now,and they are very easy keepers in that department.

Jim

Her situation is definitely different now. She has a couple acres to run around on and chase quail now:D. Definitely better than being kenneled all the time.
I've seen your sig line and wondered about your Cool Meadow Setters from time to time.
Years ago a friend used to hunt an Irish named MacKenzie. She was wicked deadly on woodcock, didn't seem to care too much for the pheasants, but neither do I, so I won't hold that against her. Anyway, your sig line always brings back memories of MacKenzie and woodcock hunting in the swamps.

The Vizsla's are very good family dogs. They have a reputation as a "velcro" dog because they really don't like to get too far from their owners. They're not big running dogs which works out great for an on foot hunter in tight cover. I love watching the big running english pointers and setters at field trials, but they'd be the wrong dog for the cover we hunt. Still they're gorgeous to watch in action. Lots of spaniels in New England also, the cover favors that style of hunter.

Jim Becker
06-20-2009, 5:26 PM
Beautiful dog, Mike! Congratulation on the new family member.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2009, 5:46 PM
Great looking new dog Mike!