PDA

View Full Version : Face plate size for larger turnings

Ron Bontz
06-19-2009, 10:46 AM
I have to buy a larger face plate since the 3520 does not come with one. Seems odd it would not. But anyway I was wondering if the 2" difference in dia., between the oneway 6" and 8" face plates is worth the difference in price, (about $50.00). I am planning on doing some larger turnings. Say 26". Is there a ratio relating the size of the turning to the size of the plate? :confused: Thanks for your time.

Frank Kobilsek
06-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Yep Ron, it is odd. My 1642 came with a 6" faceplate and the 3520 is delivered with a 3" faceplate. Square drive machine screws.

I am using the 6" faceplate to rough 20 to 24" walnut bowls. I then flip them into the new # 6 Aluminum jaws in my Stronghold.

No trouble yet.

Frank

Ken Glass
06-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Ron,
My 3520B came with a steel 3" Powermatic faceplate it also. You had better check with the distributor, I think in the accessories it is suppose to come with one.

Wally Dickerman
06-19-2009, 1:07 PM
Since your lathe swings 20 in. you probably won't be doing many 26 inchers. A Oneway 6 in. faceplate will probably be all you'll need. What is just as important is the kind, size, length and number of screws you use. The Oneway has lots of screwholes. I suggest hardened sheet metal screws in at least size 12. I prefer square drive. If you're using end grain, use long screws and, if it's soft wood, a little thin CA glue helps.

Wally

alex carey
06-19-2009, 3:11 PM
My Mustard didn't come with a face plate larger than 3" either. I bought the 6" oneway with 24 holes and haven't even thought about going bigger. Biggest I've turned is about 28 inches and it handled it no problem. I'd go for the 6" unless you start doing stuff in the 35+ range.

Jim Kountz
06-19-2009, 5:20 PM
Since your lathe swings 20 in. you probably won't be doing many 26 inchers.

Wally

Slide the headstock and you can turn way bigger than the 20" over the bed.

Jeff Nicol
06-19-2009, 5:51 PM
Ron, Depending on what you plan to turn, table tops, mirror frames, big platters, or large bowls, make sure that the blank is as round and balanced to start out with. Make sure the face plate is seated against the wood flat and the screws are adequate to hold the piece you are turning. I have used the 3" faceplate that comes with the PM3520B and then cut a piece of 1/2" plywood about 12" and mounted it with some longer screws through the face plate and to the big blank and then screwed the plywood disc to the wood at the outer edge of the disc and a few around the middle. This spreads the weight better to the lathe and the plywood gives strength against flexing or the leverage applied to the outer edge of the blank. The center screws do the driving and the outer screws are the stablizers. It works just fine and does not cost another $80 or more! Like I always say I am cheap, or frugal!!

Jeff

Curt Fuller
06-19-2009, 6:27 PM
I have a 6" faceplate that I seldom use. The reason is that unless you're making something from some sort of flat stock it's hard to get a good flat 6" wide surface to screw a face plate to. For that reason I wouldn't recommend anything any larger than that for sure. Most of the wood I work with has been rough cut with a chainsaw and usually doesn't have the type surface I like for a faceplate. Your mileage may vary.

Ron Bontz
06-19-2009, 7:36 PM
Thanks for the info. The plywood is something I had not thought about. I am planning on putting that extension to use and doing some outboard turning. A large platter and bowl for a co-worker that plans on retiring in a year or so. I have a 17" spalted maple blank, still needs to be roughed out, sitting in the corner for the bowl. I was thinking of just gluing up the platter from 12/4 stock butcher block style. Naturally the platter should be bigger. :)

Mike Peace
06-19-2009, 7:51 PM
You definitely should have gotten a 3" one with your lathe along with a Mustard colored wrench. I have mounted a 45 # blank with it with no problems.

Matt Hutchinson
06-19-2009, 8:00 PM
Well, according to my experience a 6" faceplate should be plenty. I got a 6" Oneway about a year ago and it works great. I have turned blanks that were easily 100 lbs (and no tailstock) with no issues. But I agree with the others about having a good mating surface and proper screws. Break out a handplane and make a VERY good mating surface, and then you can turn the big stuff with confidence!

Hutch

Ron Bontz
06-20-2009, 12:55 AM
I did get the 3" face plate and other accessories including the extension and tool rest extension. I just don't trust a 3" face plate on a 26" dia. turning. I had always used a 4" or 6" face plate. The turnings were always 12" dia. lamps etc.. I am just not looking to throw any thing across my little shop. I had a lamp take flight while I was high speed buffing, way back in high school. I ducked, it flew over my head, hit the concrete block wall behind me, the floor, then into my arms. The best catch of my life. It never stoped spinning until I caught it. I put it back on the lathe, replaced the dead center with a live center, and just had to return it a little. Needless to say it got my and my shop teachers attention. I think we were more stunned I caught it on the rebound. :D