View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's" Fathers Day Edition

Karl Laustrup
06-19-2009, 8:19 AM
Friday June 19, 2009

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

Hello SUMMER! At least it feels like it the last couple of days. Mid 80's with the humidity to match. I walk outside and begin to sweat. And summer doesn't even start until Sunday.

I have been able to work on my dust collection system some this week. I finally got it run over to my RAS and CMS. Not hooked up yet though. Maybe I'll have some time this weekend to get them hooked up.

The U.S. Open will have my attention for most of the weekend, if it stops raining in NY. Then there is the Sonoma race on Sunday. The remote is going to get a workout if both those are happening at the same time.

What are your plans for the weekend? All you dads going to get pampered on your day? :) I hope so and I hope you have a great weekend. Please be SAFE.

Karl

Matt Meiser
06-19-2009, 8:53 AM
I'm starting my weekend after lunch with a doctor appointment I've been looking forward to all week. I had nose surgery (deviated septum) last Wednesday. Even though it was minor I was pretty useless last weekend and most of this week due to the effects of the anesthesia, various drugs, etc. Finally starting to feel back to normal the last couple days and I get the splints out today which I suspect is going to make me feel a lot better (no more giant pieces of plastic extending into my sinuses--can't see how I won't...) So I'm planning to spend some time doing something in the shop, wearing a mask for anything that generates dust per doctor's orders, because I'm going stir-crazy. I'm thinking of getting started on our new headboard since our new bed was delivered yesterday and we already decided we don't like not having a headboard. I also need to spend a couple more hours working in Excel on calculations for my parents' kitchen so we can order materials early this week. Worked on that last weekend, but I'm thinking I need to recheck my calculations ;)

Robert Parrish
06-19-2009, 9:00 AM
Going to a Father's day party at my Dad's ALF. He's 98 and has a 90 year old girlfriend!! That should be fun!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Yardwork....maybe a little shoptime. If the new bathtub and toilet arrive, I"ll be stripping tile from the wall surrounding the old bathtub.

Laundry etc. I'm batching it until late July.

David G Baker
06-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Matt,
This is off the topic but thought I would ask, what type of bed did you end up going with?

Stephen Musial
06-19-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm getting all the yard work done on Saturday so I don't have to worry about it on Sunday. Father's Day will be a trip to the Planetarium with the 5 year old as a reward for some issues he's gotten past. Then my wife said she'd take the kids to the pool and I can have a date with the hammock all afternoon. I'll probably also finish the parquetry project and glue it to the substrate sometime this weekend.

Dan Gill
06-19-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm shooting a sporting clays match Saturday morning, then I'm going to paint the pergola for my son's wedding in the afternoon when it's really hot. Oh, joy!

Sunday morn will be teaching PowerKids (children's church), our Bible class, and worship, followed by a Father's Day dinner of pot roast (Yum!) and the traditional Sunday afternoon nap. Then probably more work on the pergola. I'll try to remember to post up a picture when it's done.

Marty Paulus
06-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Stuck out of town on business. Not going to be very interesting. Hope to be able to get home on Thursday the 25th to start some long overdue vacation time and work around the house!

Jerry Olexa
06-19-2009, 5:56 PM
Going to my son's club for dinner with whole family there. Afterwards to my son's home for cake, presents etc. Maybe they'll get me a new hammer:D:) should be a fun day. Weather here has been terrible for past 3-4 days. Either rain, thunderstorms or high humidity. I agree karl. go outside and you start sweating. Happy father's day to all....

Jim O'Dell
06-19-2009, 6:04 PM
I get to work a half day tomorrow (8-12), then home for lunch and mowing. Sunday we will head to Dallas to visit with some friends, one is in from Tuscon. The one that lives in Dallas just moved into a new home that we haven't seen.
Will watch a little B-ball on the tube. That will just about be it for the weekend this time around. Jim.

Colin Giersberg
06-19-2009, 6:28 PM
Sweat a lot, work on a 12 x 16' cabin on some hunting land. I need to start putting up sheetrock, so I plan on doing a lot of sweating and using a lot of rather colorful words from time to time.

http://yfrog.com/0zcgg36501j

Fred Voorhees
06-19-2009, 8:00 PM
Finishing up a pair of kitchen cabinet doors that I made for some neighbors of a co-worker who had their kitchen worked on and had a pair of cabs narrowed - thus the need for two doors. Also, I would like to get a trio of jewelry boxes started this week. Plans from one of my woodworking mags. Just got the hardware delivery from Rockler yesterday, so it's full speed ahead. The boxes will be for Christmas gifts. There are other christmas gift items in the batters box also. If the weather gods take a liking to me, they will let us get down to the dirt track stock car races Saturday night - though it isn't looking real promising right now. Sunday will find the gang over to watch the NASCAR event.

Vic Damone
06-19-2009, 8:49 PM
Looks like dawn patrol for the weekend, minus early a.m. tides, a head high North swell and warm whether. Just finished a big project so I don't feel like making sawdust. Fourteenth anniversary tomorrow, planning on a good dinner and a bottle of PlumpJack cab. Life is very good.

Jim Becker
06-20-2009, 6:19 PM
I'll be hoping all weekend that the rain will stop. Otherwise, it's a lot of equestrian time and some odds and ends around the house. The weather doesn't look like it's going to cooperate for actually mowing the lawn (Elvis the horse and his friends may need to come down and help out with that) nor working on the landscaping projects I'm only partially through.

Myk Rian
06-20-2009, 7:59 PM
Got a local wood shop having a garage/shop sale Sunday. Going to that in the morning, go see the Bud Clydesdales in the afternoon, then watch my wife mow the lawn (doubtful on that).

Jim A. Moore
06-20-2009, 8:01 PM
We ran down to East Carolina University to retrieve my daughter from their summer band camp program. She had a great time and made good progress on her saxophone playing. My 18yr old son helped drive - did about 2 hours each way - good learning experience for him.

Tommorrow we've got a new cooktop to install - the old one died last week and we've been short a critical cooking appliance. Maybe some pen turning and install the paddle switch on my Craftsman table saw.

Jim Mattheiss
06-20-2009, 9:07 PM
Worked on an oak replacement desktop today for LOML's laptop desk. It's been stained and I'm waiting till tomorrow to put a protective finish over the stain.

Picked up a BUNCH of pine wainscotting bundled up neatly at the curb. There were 50 pieces of 9 1/2" x 34" tongue and groove wainscotting with a 1 1/2" cove and bead detail. Someone remodeled an old family room and took that out. I'll figure out something to make with all that pine.

Tomorrow we'll be heading to some flea markets in Eastern PA - if the rain stops long enough.

Jim

Mike OMelia
06-20-2009, 9:32 PM
I am combining two things that I love. We (my wife and two boys) are spending the weekend in Chattanooga. Seeing the sights. Chattanooga is a really cool place. The other thing is running in a mountain stage race... 3 days of trail running. Yeah, fun to do when its in the upper 90's (both temp and humidity ;)). So daddy's weekend is turning out real good. Oh, as for Sunday evening, I may mosey out to the shop if I have any gas left in the tank.

Mike

John Loftis
06-21-2009, 12:08 AM
You guys are going to be jealous... so far this father's day weekend I've drilled 2,000 steeply angled holes in cedar 4X4's. Only 1,840 to go! I'm doing my first paid project, which is to make 24 lollipop stands.

The old B&D drill is not happy with me.

On the bright side, tomorrow night the LOML and I get to leave the kiddos with the in-laws while we go on a date to see "Up."
John

glenn bradley
06-21-2009, 2:03 AM
Exchange program. I put new ceiling fans in LOML's house today, she helps out in the shop at my house tomorrow.

Bill Schmitz
06-21-2009, 3:09 AM
Spent most of Saturday retrofitting an old Weber grill. Also I finally got around to installing the new Lee Valley tail vise on the work bench. The best part was get to take a few swipes at the sharp outer edges on the jaws with my new jack plane and ease those edges. I bought an old Record jack plane that a guy had refurbished, including installing L-N iron! It was sweet.

Sunday looks like some time with my kids and my dad . . . maybe there will be time to work on the bench and drill the holes for the bench dogs . . .

Happy Father's Day all.

Bill

Mike Heidrick
06-21-2009, 3:34 AM
Building a child's picnic table out of old reclaimed barn Pine. It is really nice looking wood. Milled the stock up and got the top done tonight. Should finish the build in the AM.

Also planning a new arrival in the shop late next week. Gonna need some room for this one! Gloat to come!

Will see dad on the 4th so probably stay local tomorrow (actually latter today).

Shawn Pixley
06-21-2009, 9:24 AM
Was to go out fishing on Saturday but the ocean was acting up. Ended up building a bed for my son. Half done after Saturday, should complete it today. and start building his desk.

Phil Phelps
06-21-2009, 10:58 AM
The "OPEN".

Mike Heidrick
06-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Finished the childs picnic table. Should be perfect for the next two weekends parties. Megan attached the leg supports - she tightened the nuts on the carriage bolts. She walked in the shop and said I need my tools and my goggles. It was awesome. Made my whole fathers day weekend with that one comment.

Kevin Arceneaux
06-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Mowed the lawn, ate lunch, watched golf & Nascar and then drove to Port Fourchon for work Monday.

Did hit the jackpot for Fathers Day - Hitachi 18V Hammer-drill for $80 at a pawn shop. Never been used.

Dan Gill
06-22-2009, 3:16 PM
You guys are going to be jealous... so far this father's day weekend I've drilled 2,000 steeply angled holes in cedar 4X4's. Only 1,840 to go! I'm doing my first paid project, which is to make 24 lollipop stands.

4x4s for lollipop stands? That's pretty stout!

Tom Henry
06-22-2009, 4:22 PM
I did get a sign from the wife and kids when we were at Hershey Park...

Kendall Stokke
06-22-2009, 11:05 PM
i have two carvewrights that i fired up on sunday. i have orders for 15 of these crosses with Jesus faces.

wife had to work, all four kids had other commitments so it was just me and my carvewrights.

i did manage to get 12 cut out and sanded ready to stain on sunday. hopefully finish them up by the end of the week

hope everyone had a happy father's day

kendall