View Full Version : balustres and a bowl...

Rasmus Petersen
06-19-2009, 5:43 AM
Here is the latest thing from my shop 5 balustres 70cm long the center ring is 9 cm i diameter and they have more than 40 details/measurements each.. (im getting som galbert calipers thats for shure...)

The bowl/platter is Navr (dont know the english word) 45 cm i diameter with a hidden bead beneath the rim.

Let me hear some critique .. sorry about the pics.. but its what i can do with the equipment i have..[

Jeff Nicol
06-19-2009, 7:32 AM
Rasmus, I like the shape of the bowl with the wide flat rim! It looks like you have a nice finish on it. Could we see a picture looking down into the bowl more? The spindle work looks very nice! Did you use a copier or do them all free hand? No matter it is hard to tell of any imperfections. IMHO you did a fine job and keep up the great work!

Jeff

Rasmus Petersen
06-19-2009, 7:38 AM
i will try to get some more pictures of the bowl in the weekend.

The spindelstuff is freehand.. Bahhh copier no way ;-) thanks for the comment

Bernie Weishapl
06-19-2009, 8:10 AM
Rasmus really nice bowl. Like the rim. The spindel stuff looks really good. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
06-19-2009, 9:00 AM
Nice work on everything Rasmus! Great form on your bowl! The wide rim really sets this bowl apart from others. The balusters look fairly complicated with all the detail work! Very nice work on those - especially considering you did them all freehand!

Glad to see you are keeping busy!

Rasmus Petersen
06-19-2009, 9:21 AM
thank you steve :-) yes the bowl is different, i wil post more of the same kind later, itīs a form i have been working with of late..

Yes they are complicated but thats also a good thing.. making these with a copy device or cnc would have been very very hard seeing there are many sharp details.. I hope to get more of this kind of work.. its fun, rewarding and when you haver the process running its very very zen...

Jamie Cowan
06-19-2009, 10:07 AM
I really admire those spindles--I'm no good at making even two of anything, never mind five! Great job. The bowl is outstanding. I love the design.

Bob Bergstrom
06-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Really refreshing to see such beautiful spindle work. Would like to see a pic when they get installed. I hope you got well paid for saving someone a lot of computer programing for what would have been an inferior finished product.

Don Orr
06-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Beautiful work on all these-especially the ballusters. You are right, no machine could do them as well as you did.

Nathan Hawkes
06-19-2009, 11:20 PM
WOW. I'm just getting into spindle turning, after making bowls for a few years. Entirely different animal, and you do it very well! I like the rim of the bowl-very nice flare to it. I'm very impressed at the continuity of the details from one to the next--virtually indistinguishable from the next.

Jim Kountz
06-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Wow Im so jealous Ramsus, the spindle work is really first class, they all look identical to me.
Love the bowl too, the rim is exceptional.
Great work!!

Dennis Ford
06-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Whats to critique? They look great, the bland wood would show up any defects if there were any.

Paul Engle
06-20-2009, 3:14 PM
Very Nice Rasmus, you have come quite a ways in the last 2 years. the bowl and spindle shows you have focus and attention to detail, something needed / demanded for professional art as well as arcitecturial style turnings. Keep at it indeed. :D

Cody Colston
06-20-2009, 4:46 PM
That's great work, Rasmus. I like the shape of the bowl and the finish is killer...really nice.

Those spindles are outstanding, too. I have trouble getting my socks to match, much less turning five identical spindles freehand with that kind of detail. Wonderful job.

Rasmus Petersen
06-22-2009, 4:30 AM
thank you all !! I have found errors on the spindle stuff but if you guys cant see them the client cant either...

Yes i am quite fond of the wide flaring rim on the bowl. i haven't gotten any better pictures but maby later this week..

i hope to get many more balusters.. they are great fun to do.. very zen when you have it up and running

jack richington
06-22-2009, 6:33 AM
nice spindle work..I could not have gotten the things that identical..bowl is nice & light..looks like it could lift & hover