PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Resaw King Blade

Mike OMelia
06-18-2009, 9:15 PM
At $1.73 per inch, for a 1.25" wide blade, is the Resaw King blade a good deal? Any experience here with it? My application is mostly hardwood (guitars). I won't be cutting the stuff day in and out. My saw is 137". That makes the blade $237. Is it worth it over the Lenox Trimaster? What if the blade was half that price? Sharpening is $45, and I was told you could expect about 4 shrpenings out of it.

Mike

Scot Ferraro
06-18-2009, 9:21 PM
You might try contacting Laguna to see if they have any of the Kerf King blades left at $75.00. They told me that it would be a little less smooth that the Resaw King, but still very, very good and it is cardbide and a close cousin to the Resaw King. Since you need a length less than the 168 inches that they have, they can cut one down for you. I bought one at that price and figured I could not go wrong. I think that it is going to work very well. It is also 1.25 inches.

Scot

Mike OMelia
06-18-2009, 9:27 PM
What you say Scot is very intersting... I might want one of those for another application. But I am hearing that under the right circumstances, the Resaw King can be had for half price. (1/2 of 1.73 per inch)

At that price, that looks attractive... but I was wondering if anyone has onwed it and liked it. And did it last.

I did hear the Resaw King had a much smoother cut... and , I am not cutting veneers, but I am cutting guitar backs and tops. Normally I will cut the blank under .25" and then sand down to 0.12". The RK has about a 0.04 something kerf. It would be nice if I could safely cut thinner and extend stock, and reduce thickness sanding. Thinner means I would want the kerf smoother.

Mike

David Christopher
06-18-2009, 9:49 PM
Mike, I have several resaw king blades...these are the fastest, smoothest cutting blades that I have ever used or seen....they are expensive but well worth money...for guitars Im sure you will be using kiln dried wood..with kiln dried wood you can allmost sand the cut smooth by hand

Mike OMelia
06-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Mike, I have several resaw king blades...these are the fastest, smoothest cutting blades that I have ever used or seen....they are expensive but well worth money...for guitars Im sure you will be using kiln dried wood..with kiln dried wood you can allmost sand the cut smooth by hand

Hmm, I have some Osage Orange I want to cut up also. Been sitting outside for 6 months. Argh.

Mike

Mike Heidrick
06-19-2009, 2:18 PM
Tim has the Resaw King blades at 30% off right now I know. Contact him at Laguna extension 9617 or I should have a link latter tonight to the new order form. PM me and I will get it to you when the new page is done.

I just got a full set of blades to review from him this week so I will have at least one blade of each in my shop very soon. Going to review some narrower blades to see how well they perform. I bought that resaw king last month and it is a SMOOTH cutting blade even on large and hard pieces of wood! It sliced right through my hard maple.

Chris Padilla
06-19-2009, 5:55 PM
What size bandsaw are you bending a 1 1/4" blade over?! I have a 20" and I really don't think I'd used such a wide blade but for some reason, I keep hearing that Laguna Resaw Kings in wide widths are being recommended for as small as a 14" bandsaws!

Width isn't everything when it comes to resawing...I've done well with a 1" Trimaster and a 1/2" bimetal on my 20" bandsaw.

I'd sure like to try a Resaw King one of these days but they are spendy to try....

Mike H., what size bandsaw and what size blades does it take? My 20" bandsaw takes a 14' (168") blade and I'd love to try out some other brands. I currently have a 1" Trimaster, 1" Woodmaster CT, and 1/2" Diemaster2...all from Lenox.

Jeff Wright
06-19-2009, 6:04 PM
I currently have a 1" Trimaster, 1" Woodmaster CT, and 1/2" Diemaster2...all from Lenox.

Chris, I am considering a blade purchase and have thought I would go the Trimaster route. Do you see any significant differences between the 1-inch Trimaster and the Woodmaster CT? Also, do you feel a 3/4-inch blade would do just as well on a MM20 saw?

Dave Malen
06-19-2009, 8:53 PM
What size bandsaw are you bending a 1 1/4" blade over?! I have a 20" and I really don't think I'd used such a wide blade but for some reason, I keep hearing that Laguna Resaw Kings in wide widths are being recommended for as small as a 14" bandsaws!

Width isn't everything when it comes to resawing...I've done well with a 1" Trimaster and a 1/2" bimetal on my 20" bandsaw.

I'd sure like to try a Resaw King one of these days but they are spendy to try....

Mike H., what size bandsaw and what size blades does it take? My 20" bandsaw takes a 14' (168") blade and I'd love to try out some other brands. I currently have a 1" Trimaster, 1" Woodmaster CT, and 1/2" Diemaster2...all from Lenox.

I've had a Laguna 14 inch saw for 4 years. I've used a 1 inch wide Resaw King on this saw with no problems getting smooth results.

Dave

Mike Heidrick
06-19-2009, 9:09 PM
I have the newer MM20 and 171" long blades. I have 1 1/4" Laguna Resaw King and 1 1/4" Woodmaster CT (or is it 1" - will have to look), and the (Greg deal from a few months back) $95 Lenox Trimaster. The band on the Resaw King is MUCH different than the Trimaster and Woodmaster. It is more like the steel band of a Diemaster 2 (also have that one in 1/2"). I am thinking you will not have a problem tensioning a Laguna Resaw King blade at all on a 14, 16",17"19"20"etc bandsaw. I really do not think their bands are any different than any timberwolf style band.

The Amazon prices are updated for the 30% off. Should be able to link to them from SMC and kick back to the site maybe?? Laguna is also a SMC banner ad supporter.

Scot Ferraro
06-20-2009, 12:49 PM
I agree with Mike -- the Laguna blades are a little thinner bands and I think that it helps when tensioning on smaller diameter wheels. Also, I know that some blades come in different thicknesses -- the Kerf King comes in four different thicknesses, for example, and they are made to fit different diameter saws.

Scot

Mike OMelia
06-20-2009, 9:40 PM
When I spoke with Tim, he reccomended the 1.25". Remember, this is a carbide blade, 18" or bigger wheel is "required". My Jet is rated for 1.25" (or 1.5") but I have no idea if I should use that size. That blade is also has variable tooth spacing.

Mike

Nelson Howe
06-21-2009, 9:10 PM
Help me here. I've been using the woodslicer blade, which runs about a third of the resaw king when it's on sale (now). I'm a little freaked out by the cost of that blade, but then I spent nearly that for a Forrest wwII, which I love. What do you get from the resaw king?

Is the kerf smaller?

Is the cut cleaner?

Does it last longer?

Am I to understand that it's easier to tension than, say, the woodslicer?

Thanks,

Nelson

Mike OMelia
06-29-2009, 10:20 PM
The kerf is 0.042 (AIR)

I do not know why one blade is better than another. I was offered a dam good deal on the blade when I bought the Driftmaster (dam ggod deal on that too! see the D&D forum). One person to talk to (Tim) and consult with (I like that). I loved their videos too with regards to the driftmaster. Now I am just counting days till it arrives. Lenox makes great blades, I hear woodslicer does too. None of them are going to be around long if they are making junk.

But I swear, I am such a gonner once I have a human being on the other end. I so appreciate the fact that if I have a problem, I have someone to call. In today's world, that is almost priceless (and perhaps worth the few extra $$)

Oh, I was told the resaw king cut is similar to 220 grit sanding. We will see.

Mike