PDA

View Full Version : Installed my own central air

Dan Friedrichs
06-18-2009, 9:07 PM
Awhile ago, I asked if anyone here had installed their own central air conditioning (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=112285). Many positive responses encouraged me to give it a shot. I always feel like when I ask "The Creek" a question, I should follow-up with the end result, so here is the end result :)

I found a used 3-ton split-system (coil, compressor, lineset, and plastic pad) on CL which I was able to buy for $300 (apparently it was taken out of a house which had just sold where the buyer wanted a swamp cooler installed instead of refrigerated air. Made no sense to me....). I was concerned that it may be defective in some way (small leak, etc), but took the risk.

I had to buy a new lineset - the one it came with was too short.

I installed it, called an HVAC guy out to charge it with refrigerant, and fired it up. It's been running for several weeks now, and no problems - just cool air :)

Taking into account the cost of the unit, the city building permit (:mad:), the HVAC service call, 10lbs of R-22 refrigerant the HVAC guy used, and misc hardware (electrical stuff, etc), the whole installation cost me about 2 days of time and just under $1k. Good outcome, I think - I'd definitely do it again.

Here's an obligatory picture, although it's not too exciting :)