PDA

View Full Version : What size disc sander?

Jack Gaskins
06-18-2009, 7:46 PM
Trying to figure out which type and size sander to get for my shop. I am just starting out turning and making flat work so the sander wont be used for any thing aggressive. I have been told that a good disc sander is where I shoul start. Well I was looking and you can get a good used 20" disc sander for around $800. Is a 20" sander overkill verses a 12" Jet sander?

Malcolm Tibbetts
06-18-2009, 8:09 PM
Jack, a 20" disc sander is a really handy tool, but a 12" will suffice unless you're doing a lot of big stuff. I have both and I use them both about equally, but I do a lot of segmenting. If you go the 12" route, I highly recommend the Jet (about $350); it's far superior to the wimpy under $200 options.

Jack Gaskins
06-18-2009, 8:16 PM
Jack, a 20" disc sander is a really handy tool, but a 12" will suffice unless you're doing a lot of big stuff. I have both and I use them both about equally, but I do a lot of segmenting. If you go the 12" route, I highly recommend the Jet (about $350); it's far superior to the wimpy under $200 options.

Speaking of segmenting. I am really interested in segmented turning but need to get down all the basics first before I try my hands at turning segmented stuff. I have read that the best sander for segmented rings is the drum sander. How good does the 20" disc sander sand your rings verses a drum sander?

Richard Madison
06-18-2009, 8:43 PM
Jack,
Suggest that you buy Malcolm's book "The Art of Segmented Woodturning", modestly priced from Amazon or from Malcolm. It is easy to read and understand, perfect for the beginner.

Tom Lewis
06-18-2009, 9:36 PM
I might say that I recently purchased Malcom's book on segmenting. It is one of the most amazing books I have ever read. The directions are clear with lots of excellent photos. The details and craftmanship in Malcom's segmented turnings defy words to describe.
Thanks Malcom for sharing this with other turners.

Richard Madison
06-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Jack,
A disc sander can be used (with a carefully made jig) to sand the glue surfaces of individual segments to smooth, flat surfaces and correct angle. A drum sander may be used to sand complete rings smooth and flat for gluing to other rings, although this may not be the preferred method for flattening rings. May also be done with the disc sander. The drum (thickness) sander may also be used to create the correct (wedge) angle on multiple rings for gluing up to a toroidal form. Best to just buy the book. As your segmenting work progresses it will be a useful reference book when you ask "What's next".

Ken Glass
06-19-2009, 12:37 AM
Jack,
I agree with Richard about the drum sander. I use mine to sand each side of each ring, but then turn them flat again on the lathe. I use my 12" disk sander to sand each half ring. I don't sand any individual segments until I have glued up the half ring.

Bruce McElhaney
06-19-2009, 8:03 AM
"I don't sand any individual segments until I have glued up the half ring. "

Ken, I'm a bit confused by your statement. How can you sand individual segments if they are already glued up?

Ken Glass
06-19-2009, 8:42 AM
Bruce,
I should have said I don't sand any individual segments. I only sand both ends of the half rings of glued up segments. I hope that clears it up for you. I use my 12" disk sander to do both ends at the same time unless the ring is wider than 12", which it has rarely been yet.

Jack Gaskins
06-19-2009, 9:58 PM
Jack,
I agree with Richard about the drum sander. I use mine to sand each side of each ring, but then turn them flat again on the lathe. I use my 12" disk sander to sand each half ring. I don't sand any individual segments until I have glued up the half ring.

I'm not looking for a sander to do just segmented stuff yet. I dont even know how to do segmentation. What I am looking for is a all around shop sander. I was looking at the powermatic oscillating edge sanders and it looks like it would make a good shop sander. ??