PDA

View Full Version : Jewlery case from wood mag

Mark Ball
06-18-2009, 7:37 PM
Howdy

Here is a walnut jewlery case I made for my daughters birthday (3rd). Plans were from current edition of wood mag. The only change I made was to put a small mirror inside instead of the self-stick velvet. I had the walnut left over from a gun cabinet project (see earlier post). Overall a fun project, however after gluing up the case I found it was a bit out of square, which made fitting the door a challenge. Also, I should have mortised the hinges a bit deeper. I was going to putz with this one for a while just to keep the shop open for business, but when wife saw it a deadline was imposed (birthday party is June 21st). So I did hurry a bit, but not too bad. Finish is BLO with several coats of cabot semi-gloss spray lacquer. I was very pleased with the finish aspect of this project. It is not shiny as the pictures would imply.

Comments are welcome.

Ed Sallee
06-18-2009, 8:07 PM
Very nice, Mark. I received that issue and thought about it as well... Any problems to speak of?

Your choice of wood and interior are excellent....

Now it's time for the... "It's gonna cost you a fortune to fill 'er up" warnings:D

Mike McCann
06-18-2009, 9:43 PM
Mark

that looks great. I am planning on making the same thing for my mom for Christmas.

Mark Ball
06-18-2009, 9:44 PM
Hi Ed

The only thing I might change is the front. I think it looks a little plain, maybe do a raised panel or something.

I will probably make two more of these for X-mas presents, because the ring holder in the plans from rockler only comes in 24" or so length for $24, so I have enougy for two more. I have enough walnut for one, and enough decent maple for another.

John Keeton
06-19-2009, 5:59 AM
You have some nice looking grain going on with that walnut!! BTW, you will put a diamond necklace in each of the Christmas presents won't you;) Sure would show off a nice jewelry box!!

phil harold
06-19-2009, 6:59 AM
I really like the walnut on the drawer fronts!

Send me one of those diamond necklaces ;o)