PDA

View Full Version : Decisions...

Al Navas
06-18-2009, 7:14 PM
http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/decision-1.png

Only one, or maybe both? On the left: Walnut, with quarter-sawn white oak base; on the right, osage orange. I ordered an iron from Brese Plane (http://www.breseplane.com/) — a real beauty!

Stand by!

jerry nazard
06-18-2009, 8:36 PM
Got to be both. Mutt and Jeff.

John Keeton
06-18-2009, 9:17 PM
Walnut - for a couple of reasons. First - I love walnut:D Second, the growth rings in the osage are not perpendicular to the sides, i.e. rift cut. The walnut appears to be a more stable block of wood, and more likely to remain square.

Just my thoughts - and I know NOTHING about building planes.

David Gendron
06-18-2009, 9:27 PM
I would go for both... I've seen old plane made with rift sawn wood and I think it was ok, not the first choice but ok! I think if you would put a sole on the osage as well it might help... I realy don't know;)

Phillip Pattee
06-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Are you planning on using these for infils; making laminated plane like a Krenov style, Steve Knight's planes, something like the linux plane project; or are you planning a very traditional wooden plane where you chop out the mouth and bed and shape it with floats?

If you are going the route of a laminated wooden plane, I think I would start with the walnut/QSWO and build one of the linux planes http://linuxplane.awardspace.com/essay.htm

Is this your first plane?

Al Navas
06-19-2009, 8:02 AM
Got to be both. Mutt and Jeff.
Love it - thanks, Jerry!

Walnut - for a couple of reasons. First - I love walnut:D Second, the growth rings in the osage are not perpendicular to the sides, i.e. rift cut. The walnut appears to be a more stable block of wood, and more likely to remain square.

Just my thoughts - and I know NOTHING about building planes.
I love walnut too, John.

I would go for both... I've seen old plane made with rift sawn wood and I think it was ok, not the first choice but ok! I think if you would put a sole on the osage as well it might help... I really don't know;)
Thanks, David. I believe it is in David Fink's book that I read that Osage Orange is OK. I better check once more...

Are you planning on using these for infils; making laminated plane like a Krenov style, Steve Knight's planes, something like the linux plane project; or are you planning a very traditional wooden plane where you chop out the mouth and bed and shape it with floats?

If you are going the route of a laminated wooden plane, I think I would start with the walnut/QSWO and build one of the linux planes http://linuxplane.awardspace.com/essay.htm

Is this your first plane?
Phillip.

My first plane. It will likely be a Krenov-style laminated plane - two planes, actually, as I have a second, larger Brese Plane iron, too.

John Keeton
06-19-2009, 8:09 AM
Al, did you harvest the osage? I am sure it is plentiful at your place, or at least it is here! I have a large limb that came off on a tree out back that is in the way, and needs to be cleaned up. I know limb wood is not known to be stable in larger lumber cuts. But this is a pretty good sized limb. It would be interesting to lob off a couple chunks, and let them season out to see what happens! I may even get the hankerin' to build a plane someday:D

Al Navas
06-19-2009, 8:19 AM
John,

Osage Orange is plentiful around here. I bet you will weant to build a hand plane, someday.

This chunk and about 6 others were given to me by the owner of a small saw mill where I bought a bunch of lumber two years ago.

If you do harvest the limb, make sure to coat the end grain with wax, to prevent checking... And leave one or two smaller chunks without the treatment, to see how badly it will check. Something this thick (just over 3") will take quite a while to dry - at least one year per inch. It will do great in your barn!

By cutting the limb into smaller chunks it will dry much faster, and possibly check less. I others will comment on this, as I could be wrong. Maybe the woodturners have a better feel for this...

Osage Orange is very dense and heavy; be careful when handling larger pieces.

John Keeton
06-19-2009, 8:28 AM
Osage Orange is very dense and heavy; be careful when handling larger pieces.Some good thoughts Al. Not to worry on the weight, etc. On our place, I have handled WAY too much of the stuff. It grows like crabgrass! We have removed a lot of it, although I usually try to leave it in large sections, hook on with the tractor, and drag to a brush pile. It likes to bite back!:mad: Thorns and I do not get along!

george wilson
06-19-2009, 9:21 AM
Many old planes had the grain at as much as 45 degrees off from parallel from the sole.

I'd recommend the Osage if it is dry and stable enough. It will not wear on the sole like walnut can. I haven't glued up Osage. Make sure it can be glued o.k..

Al Navas
06-19-2009, 9:23 AM
George,

The walnut has a quarter-sawn white oak sole. Do you anticipate this will be fine for the walnut plane?

Mike Cutler
06-19-2009, 10:31 AM
On our place, I have handled WAY too much of the stuff. It grows like crabgrass! We have removed a lot of it, although I usually try to leave it in large sections, hook on with the tractor, and drag to a brush pile.

I gotta get to Kentucky,and root around in John's "brush pile". You wouldn't believe how much OO( Orange Osage) is in New England, and OO Bois d'Arc is impossible to find.

Al
My vote is the Orange Osage

Al Navas
06-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Mike,

What IS happening to all that OO? I wonder if they are simply making it into chips...

Mike Cutler
06-19-2009, 4:42 PM
Mike,

What IS happening to all that OO? I wonder if they are simply making it into chips...

If they are it's a shame. From what I've heard though it grows from anything like a scrubby dense underbrush to trees, so maybe there is a limited amount that is actually suited to mill for lumber. I don't know really, maybe John can chime in though. I also think that OO is so hard to work with that folks avoid it, and therefore it has limited commercial appeal.

I have quite a few bd/ft of OO Bois d'Arc that I bought from John Stevens a few years back. It's beautiful wood. It's ultimate destination is going to be a hand tool chest,,,, someday;).I've had the boards stored in the rack for about 3 years now and they haven't moved one iota. Very stable

David Gendron
06-19-2009, 4:52 PM
Al or John, I want a chunk or two... Here in the great far north, nothing other than pine, spruce and poplars... Not that good for planes! I could trade some fine poplar if you want;)

John Keeton
06-19-2009, 4:57 PM
I am sure climate and soil have a lot to do with it, but here it does everything! We have several "clumps" that may be 20' wide x 20' tall, and also some really decent sized trees. I will try to post a pic or two.

Al Navas
06-19-2009, 6:05 PM
...I also think that OO is so hard to work with that folks avoid it, and therefore it has limited commercial appeal...

It's beautiful wood. It's ultimate destination is going to be a hand tool chest,,,, someday;).I've had the boards stored in the rack for about 3 years now and they haven't moved one iota. Very stable
Mike,

THAT will be a gorgeous hand tool chest! I believe most of the OO from around here finds its way to woodturning supply houses.

Al or John, I want a chunk or two... Here in the great far north, nothing other than pine, spruce and poplars... Not that good for planes! I could trade some fine poplar if you want;)
David,

A small piece is around $5 to $8. Shipping to your location: Around $1,000. Results: Priceless!

Just kidding, David. I hope SMC members can arrange something... ;)

Casey Gooding
06-19-2009, 6:24 PM
I believe in Finck's book he says is doesn't really matter how the grain is oriented. On something this size, it probably won't be of concern. Especially if the wood is thoroughly dry.
Have fun. I've made quite a few of these and have irons waiting on several more.