PDA

View Full Version : How to remove the pulley from the arbor (pm66)

Brad Ridgway
06-18-2009, 6:47 PM
So i've pulled both set screws (the big one over the spacer and the one in the pulley). Is there a trcik to getting the pulley off the shaft . I tried some light tapping, but want to make sure i'm not going to break anything if i continue?

(fyi there's PM Gold overspray on the arbor pulley, and the shaft/bearings of the arbor assembly - not sure why they're assemble before paint)

thx
-brad

p.s. and other tips on removal of the bearings or reassembly are appreciated too...

Bob Vallaster
06-18-2009, 7:14 PM
Brad,
PM is not my brand so I don't know for sure...
But it is often remarked on this site that some pulleys have stacked set screws. Sorta belt&suspenders.
If what you removed doesn't look long enough to reach to the shaft or bear on the key, shine a light in the recess to see if there's another hex hiding in there. Might save you some blue language and scarred parts.
Otherwise, give it a shot of penetrant and proceed gently.

BobV

Kyle Iwamoto
06-18-2009, 7:28 PM
I don't know anything about PM either, but I have commonly seen stacked setscrews also.

I just wanted to add my .02, do NOT attempt to pull the pulley off with a 3 jaw puller. It will most likely damage the pulley.

Logan William
06-18-2009, 8:34 PM
If you do end up needing a puller, create a backer plate out of something like 1/4" steel plate, cut it to the diameter of the pulley and put it on the back side(the side the teeth/hook of the puller will grab). This will help to distribute the force of the puller evenly across the face and should prevent distorting the pulley.

jim sauterer
06-18-2009, 10:13 PM
put some sort of rust buster on the shaft at the pulley also in the set screw holes.i like to use pb blaster.let it set and spray multiple times over a several hour period.i then tap with a brass hammer or dead blow hammer.also clean the shaft with sandpaper to remove any rust on the shaft.this has worked for me several times.be patient.dont rush it.good luck

Brad Ridgway
06-18-2009, 10:34 PM
One more related question for after i get the pulley off...

looking at the old 66 manuals over at OWWM, they claim the bearings/whole assembly should slide right out once pully is removed... No mention of bearing pullers / etc... Is this true? All the delta write ups i find say you need a puller for one of the bearings...

Brad Ridgway
06-18-2009, 11:42 PM
nevermind - they were right and Jim so were you.... i dropped a litle WD-40 in there tapped and it started to move. and sure enough same thing on the main assembly and is slid right out as PM stated...

Thank you all... i'm on my way to a better tuned saw