PDA

View Full Version : Chairs after the Chippendale frame

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-18-2009, 6:46 PM
I've been noticing chairs that I have sat in.

I'm referring to the sort with the mortise and tenons joining the legs and the side, front, & back seat rails all held together on the inside by an angled member at a 45 Deg pierced through the center by a furniture stud screwed into the leg with a machine screw and nut clamping the elements together.

I have notice that the mortise and tenon joints are all loose - - every one of them. If I touch the led and the side rail at the same time and wiggle just a bit I can feel the independent movement of the parts.

Any one else notice this?

mike holden
06-19-2009, 8:49 AM
Cliff,
this is standard practice for a lot of manufacturers. Saves on shipping cost and assy as chairs can be shipped in a flat box then assembled by the store or customer.

I would be interested to know if they last, can someone from the 22nd century chime in here? (grinnnn!)

Seriously though, as long as the hardware is kept tightened, I can see no downside. In fact, I can see some advantages. But, it does not seem like *REAL* woodworking to me. But then, I am a hobbyist, and the work is more important than the product.

Mike

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-19-2009, 9:05 AM
A definite negative of a glue-less construction is the rocking motion will round the shoulders over on the rail. That would exacerbate the rocking.

Frank Drew
06-19-2009, 4:10 PM
Corner braces to reinforce mortise and tenon joints are good practice, but unglued leg/rail joints? Not so much. Pretty bogus, in fact. IMO.