PDA

View Full Version : Portable Table Saw

Bob Winkler
08-24-2004, 8:46 AM
Like many of you, I seem to be spending a considerable amount of time doing general home improvement projects. I love it. What I don't love is constantly running down to my basement workshop to fetch tools and make cuts on my CMS, TS, Router, etc. My legs are killing me by the end of the day.

I recently purchased the twin-laser CMS at Lowes (thanks for the great $ tip), and set it up on the Ridgid CMS stand on wheels. I love this setup because it tucks away nicely in my garage, and is easy to move where I need it, even to my van to work off-site. I now want to have a similar portable setup for a 10" Table saw.

Although I like the DW744 and Bosch 4000, I am really focusing on the Craftsman 218030 or Ridgid 2400 because of their stands with wheels. Being able to roll the TS around easily is pretty important to me, as is being able to store the TS upright in the garage to save space.

The Craftsman is significantly less expensive. Does anyone have any personal experience with any of these saws, or any other I should be considering? Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-24-2004, 9:10 AM
My youngest son and the LOHL just moved into their first home. He bought the Craftsman you mentioned. He's used it for several small projects and is extremely happy with it. He admits it's not a "cabinet saw" but it's worked well for the purposes he's got.

James Carmichael
08-24-2004, 9:19 AM
No personal experience, but between your 2 prefs, I would probably opt for the Ridgid. At a Cummins show last month, they were selling them for $359.